MU club football team serves as model

Katherine Ladt

Since 2007 the Miami University club football team has risen above the ranks and gained national recognition for both its success on the field and its ability to develop a successful program. Combining forces with Xavier, Marquette and Southern Illinois a group of young men started the Midwestern Club Football Conference three years ago, which has expanded to three other schools since then, allowing a full season filled with lots of competition. This season was no different as they were undefeated in their southern conference.

As their Web site states, "club football at Miami University is much more than just a 'club sport' to the men who come out every year to play ball. There's nothing like walking onto that field and smelling the dirt and fresh-cut grass, nothing like making that sack or that catch or that touchdown, and that's why we play. We play for fun. We play for sportsmanship. We play for football."

Senior Josh Cartellone, who leads as team president, explained how their close relationship with the Oxford community and the varsity team has enabled them to achieve great things.

"Forming a bond with the athletic department and Coach Haywood has really made a difference especially when it comes to practices as well as equipment," Cartellone said.

Senior Captain Frankie Bisceglie described the importance of being involved with the community.

"By working with organizations like the Knolls of Oxford retirement community center, we have been able to get in touch with alumni and found a great support system through our visitations," Bisceglie said.

This has become a priority for the team as they often go to the Knolls to share conversations over dinner and give back to the community that has allowed them to succeed.

Another positive influence has come from the coaching staff led by Miami alumnus and former coach, Jay Fry, who constantly instills a tough love mentality and emphasizes the importance of the team's ability to connect with one another.

"We have been able to build a sort of 'brotherhood' in which we rely on one another, and use constructive criticism on the field, opposed to many teams who suffer due to multiple individualistic attitudes," Bisceglie said.

Many opponents and future opponents have recognized this as new club teams are constantly getting in contact looking for advice in building a successful program.

One way the team has integrated various backgrounds and personalities is through the addition of Japanese exchange student Taisuke Miyamae, who joined the team this fall. The team even incorporated one of Miyamae's rituals, bowing to the field any time you step on and off the field, showing respect to the field, the game and the surrounding players.

"I love football, when I found out I made the team, I was so happy," Miyamae said.

The excitement for the team Tai had was shared as fellow players Dylan "Mit" Digel, Christian Castilla and Kevin Hayes added that the "no dramatics" attitude and the dedication of players makes each aspect of the game enjoyable.

While the team wrapped up its season this past weekend in a heartbreaking loss to Wright State, the members' upbeat attitude continues, as well as their desire to expand the program. Along with other club sports teams, the football team allows players with no experience to join. Both Cartellone and Bisceglie said their commitment and experience as a Miami club football player during their three years on the team are what they are most proud of and that they know the legacy they have built will continue. Though this season has closed the team will continue to live the dream and regain their title at the top next year, always remembering to get their club on!