MU campaign nears goal

Jenn Smola, For the Miami Student

The Miami University For Love and Honor Campaign, a $500 million fundraising initiative, recently surpassed $400 million in donor commitments.

According to the campaign's website, the campaign is "a comprehensive effort aimed at directing this remarkable university toward new heights of excellence in terms of student financial aid, faculty support, student learning opportunities and facilities." 

Funds raised from the campaign have grown steadily throughout the past several years. At the end of October, the campaign had raised $391.5 million, and currently the total is more than $403 million, according to the campaign's website.

The campaign has specific goals for each major area within the university.

The largest amount, $222.5 million, is set aside for university-wide initiatives. The largest part of the university-wide initiatives will go toward faculty endowments, university scholarships and the Farmer School of Business.

Another $80 million is marked for the Farmer School of Business (FSB), while both the College of Arts and Sciences and Intercollegiate Athletics are allowed $50 million of the campaign's funds and the other schools in the university are each granted $15 million each. 

Other goals of the campaign include raising money for academic initiatives, student affairs, university libraries and satellite campuses.

According to David Creamer, vice president for finance and business services, the breakdown of campaign funds relates largely to the interests of donors.

"A very high percentage of funds come in with a restricted intent," Creamer said.

Creamer also said some of the money raised by the campaign has already been put to use. 

"The campaign has already begun to have a positive impact," Creamer said.

He said a considerable amount of scholarship money has been raised through the campaign.

In addition, Creamer said campaign funds have helped to complete major university projects such as FSB and the Goggin Ice Center.

He said alumni giving has played a key role in fundraising for the campaign, and faculty and staff have helped as well.

Through pledges, payroll deductions and the campaign's endowment program, more than $10 million in campaign commitments have been made from current and former faculty and staff.  Students have been offered the opportunity to give back to their university as well.

The Senior Class Gift Campaign, which represents the class of 2011, is focusing on raising funds for the new Armstrong Student Center.

Additionally, each first-year student was given a piggy bank at the beginning of the school year to encourage them to save their change to donate for a need-based scholarship to benefit a classmate, according to a campaign update in Giving Tribute, the campaign magazine.

Students like Miami first-year Bryn Wilkin appreciate donations made to the campaign.

"I definitely think it's important that the university has that support," she said. "It's really cool to see alumni still connected to Miami. It's nice that they want to see students succeed by giving back even though they're now removed from the university. As students, we're all grateful for that support."