MU breaks ground for future learning center in West Chester

In an effort to expand regional facilities, Miami's Voice of America Center will be built between Dayton and Cincinnati in West Chester.

Brianna Mulligan

Miami University hosted the groundbreaking for the new Voice of America (VOA) Center building Wednesday, with the hopes of bringing a Miami education to surrounding Ohio communities.

The VOA Center, located on Ohio's I-75 between Dayton and Cincinnati in West Chester, will be a satellite location offering a variety of Miami classes.

The building, with an estimated completion date of January 2009, plans to offer more than 80 classes per week for students hoping to continue or begin a university education. Daniel Hall, dean of the Miami Hamilton campus, said the purpose of the center is to provide a learning environment for a variety of students.

"The Voice of American Center will provide educational opportunities for people in the region and provide them with graduation, undergraduate, and noncredit opportunities," Hall said.

Project manager Roderick Nimtz agrees.

"It is specifically a learning center," Nimtz said. "It will be used for instructional education. We are reaching out to serve students on many levels."

The VOA Center is targeted at any students who are just beginning a college education, want to continue completion of a degree, are required to take continuing education requirements, or who are simply interested in taking classes to increase their knowledge and skills. Classes will be offered during the day, at night, and on the weekends.

Many branches of Miami education will be offered at the center, including a professional MBA program through the Farmer School of Business, graduate work through Miami's School of Education and Allied Professions, and a variety of undergraduate courses for a nursing bachelor's degree.

More than 180 supporters of the project, including Miami President David Hodge and regional campus deans Kelly Cowan of Middletown and Hall, were present at the groundbreaking.

Also attending were two of the people who first initiated the project in 1997, Kathy Klink, the former superintendent of the area schools, and Jack Rhodes, former dean of Hamilton. In fact, Rhodes and his wife came from Wisconsin to attend the event.

"It was 180 of our closest friends," Nimtz said. "It's great to see the response of my colleagues at Miami. A lot of people have been and will continue to help bring the center on line."

The ceremony opened with a welcoming by Hodge and a traditional presentation of the colors by the Miami ROTC. Additional speakers included Joe Hinson, president of the West Chester Chamber Alliance, and Ohio House of Representatives Member Bill Coley. The ceremony concluded with the actual groundbreaking, marking the official start of the construction.

The VOA Center, which will award construction contracts later this September, will be approximately 23,000 square feet. Composed of five classrooms, a seminar room and a 150-seat auditorium. The center will accommodate 250 students at any given hour and will also be available for community use.

"Another goal of ours is to work and collaborate with our neighbors," Nimtz said. "The community is excited about having Miami there and having access to the educational resources that Miami offers."

The community can utilize the center for meetings, seminars, community forums, and other events. However, to enroll in the various classes offered by the school, one would have to apply to Miami University.

The project will cost $7.5 million; $1.5 million of which was supplied by the state of Ohio-Miami's board of trustees issued bonds to finance the remaining $6 million.

Miami does not currently have plans for the future development of the remaining area, but Nimtz said the building was constructed on the western side of the property, leaving ample space for potential buildings.

"Only time will tell," Nimtz said about any future plans. But for now, is proud to begin the construction of this new learning center.

In regards to the event, Nimtz said: "It was a good, but hot, time had by all."