More course offerings part of honors program expansion

Michelle Lohmann

Miami University's Honors and Scholars Program has recently undergone changes in an attempt to accommodate both the number and caliber of students involved in the program.

Most recently, the program has focused on increased recruitment efforts and expansion of honors classes and programs offered through the Honors and Scholars Living Learning Communities.

In the past five years, the program has expanded the number of honors residence halls from one to four due to the popularity of the Living Learning Communities. In addition to Tappan Hall, this fall Emerson Hall was opened as an honors first-year Living Learning Community. Other Living Learning Communities include Bishop and Wells halls, which are targeted toward upper classmen.

This year, a range of new one-credit hour classes and programs are also being offered in the residence halls and are specifically designed for the students living there.

Carolyn Haynes, director of the Honors and Scholars Program, said changes are being made to meet the needs of honors students.

"We develop special programs as well as a Living Learning Community course for each hall that speak to the needs of those residents and that are aligned with the overall mission of the Honors and Scholars Program," Haynes said.

The first-year halls feature the HON 280 course, which focuses on getting students started in college. Other programs encourage students to seek out new friendships, research skills and learning opportunities.

The intermediate living learning community, Wells Hall, offers the HON 281 course, which centers on service-related learning. Programming there assists students with internships and study abroad experiences.

The capstone hall, Bishop, is intended to prepare students for life beyond Miami with courses such as HON 350 and HON 480.

"As students progress through their college curriculum, their needs change," explained John Forren, associate director of the honors program. "We want to offer them a comprehensive and challenging learning experience."

The honors program has also expanded its recruitment efforts, trying to make information both more accessible and student- friendly.

Their newly designed Web site includes additional navigational concepts and features, such as a student blog. Instant messaging is also available on the Web site so that current or prospective students can communicate with the honors staff and students informally.

Daily information sessions are also offered to students and their parents visiting Miami. An honors staff member, as well as a current student, answer visitor questions and since the sessions were started in June 2006, more than 400 prospective students and parents have already attended.

In addition, for the first time this semester, the honors ambassadors program was turned into a class experience. In the past, the honors ambassadors program was a separate organization of students. The program consists of a yearlong training course, HON 280Z, in which students research recruitment tactics at Miami and other competitor honors programs. The students then develop new recruitment ideas and actively participate in recruitment events. The number of students involved in the program increased from only a few in previous years to approximately 30 students this year.

"We feel that students are the best recruiters we have," Haynes said.

These changes in the program have been made for multiple reasons, including the increase in the number of students applying and being accepted into the program. While the number of Harrison Scholars - who receive a scholarship that covers full tuition or full tuition and room and board - has remained about the same each year, this fall the Oxford Scholars Program has doubled from 300 to 600 students.

Among other things, Oxford Scholars receive a $1,000 scholarship, providing they meet certain requirements, as well as special programming and academic support.

Also, this year more students have accepted invitations to take part in Miami's University Honors Program, which has increased its size from about 250 to 330 students.

Students in the University Honors Program, which is different from the Oxford Scholar's Program, receive a $2,000 scholarship providing they meet certain criteria. They also get priority registration and the chance to take part in small seminar classes, among other opportunities.

"We try to keep the size of our program as large as we can without compromising the quality of the students' experience," Haynes said.

Beth Langlois, a junior in the honors program, notes that many of these changes benefit first-years and those who reside in the Living Learning Communities. She also believes that a future change should include the extension of scholarship money to upperclassman who join the program after their first year.

"Although it's an amazing program for freshman, the main incentive to do well in the program is scholarship money and I'm not getting money because I got into the program my sophomore year," Langlois said. "Also, since I finished my Miami Plan classes, the amount of classes I can take is very limited. I'm taking classes I don't even need just for honors program. The main reason I'm in the program is for priority scheduling."

Another reason Miami's honors programs has had to make these changes is to compete with the honors programs at other universities. For example, Ohio State University has built up its honors program and has recently become a competitor for potential Miami honor students said Larry Nadler, chair of the Honors and Scholars Program Advisory Committee.

"Miami has definitely had to compete in the marketplace," Nadler said. "We are involved in continuous improvement. We are always looking for ways to improve the program."