Monologues' profits will benefit crisis center

Staff

The Association for Women Students is proud to present their annual production of The Vagina Monologues, a play written by Eve Ensler. Inspired by hundreds of interviews conducted by Ensler herself, the show consists of a collection of monologues all pertaining to women's issues.

"It's not your typical theatre production," sophomore and co-director Kiaya White said. "The themes of the show are more explicit because they talk about issues people often don't hear about or bring up in conversation."

Becca Hartz, co-president of AWS and a performer in the production, emphasized that The Vagina Monologues does not have one specific target audience.

"This show is a compilation of events that are relatable in every woman's life," Hartz said. "It reflects a broad range of experiences, but it's not just for females. It's important for men to understand these issues, because every man has a woman in his life who comes into contact with these themes on a daily basis."

All the proceeds of this production are presented to the Butler County Rape and Crisis Center. According to Hartz, AWS donated close to $3,000 from last year's ticket and merchandise sale.

"The audience is going to be shaken up at times from some of the deeper pieces," Hartz said. "But they'll also be laughing during the lighter, comedic monologues. It's a great mix."

Performances will be held at 7 p.m. Feb. 25 through 27 in Peabody's Leonard Theatre.