Mix it up: Tuffy's caters to student pallets by offering ice cream station

Tuffy's, located on the bottom level of the Shriver Center near Spring Street Market, now includes a coffee island and mix-in ice cream option.

Sara Bailer

First it was the Cheesy Clinton. Then it was calzones and flavored coffee brews. Now the newest addition to Tuffy's-Shriver Center's coffee shop-can satisfy Miami University students' sugary sides, with a selection of ice cream, gelato and sweet mix-ins.

Tuffy's received this summer both an aesthetic facelift and a menu revamping, in an attempt to make the coffee shop more accessible and appealing to students.

"When Tuffy's opened in 1989 it wasn't intended to be used as it is now," said Marijo Nootz, senior director of Shriver Center. "Over the years we've increased our selection. Before, the traffic flow was all wrong. The geography has been changed to make it faster for students (to order) and easier for the employees."

According to Tina Rotundo, executive manager of Shriver Center, the renovations were necessary to in order to compliment the evolving Tuffy's product selection.

"Part of the reason we renovated Tuffy's was because (before) it was just a coffee shop," Rotundo said. "And over the years we've added so many new items that it was no longer functional. A big part of this remodel was to increase functionality and make it more efficient for our staff and customers."

The largest and most notable change to Tuffy's remodel, outside of a new coffee island, was the addition of the ice cream mix-in station.

"Last year we wanted to add something new, so we added calzones to Tuffy's, but we also got a lot of requests for ice cream," Rotundo said. "We knew how popular Cold Stone was, and wanted to do something similar to it."

According to Nootz, the idea of adding ice cream to Tuffy's was approved by the Shriver Center managers, but there were certain requirements that needed to be met in order to do so.

"When we proposed this part of the (ice cream station) remodel to President (David) Hodge, he wanted us to use local products to support local businesses," Nootz said. "So we found a local vendor-Young's (Jersey) Dairy. Young's Dairy makes ice cream, but they only made ice cream for their own label. So we are the first ones that they will make ice cream for."

According to Nootz, the primary benefit of using Young's Dairy as a vendor is its local location in Ohio, thus complying with President Hodge's wishes. However the other major perk about using Young's Dairy is that the Young's family members are all graduates of Miami.

Previously Shriver Center offered soft serve ice cream to meet student's ice cream needs. However, the toppings were limited to nuts and sprinkles, now there are about 35 mix-in options, not to mention the several different flavors of ice cream available.

"We'll have eight different kinds of ice cream, a gelato, a sorbetto, a few variety types, and a sugar-free vanilla," Nootz said.

"I have already tried five of the new ice cream flavors and they taste delicious," said Mandy Eckman, a Miami junior. "I think it's a great addition to campus. Now I don't have to walk uptown for good ice cream."

However, Tuffy's has not forgotten students who are looking to branch out from traditional ice cream.

According to Rotundo, the sorbet has half the calories and half the sugar of the ice cream, and is also dairy-free. In addition, the gelato contains half the calories and half the sugar of the regular ice cream.

The gelato in particular is getting ovations from students.

"It's as good as the gelato I had in Spain," said Trevor Stookey, a Miami junior.

For those concerned about whose pocket Tuffy's facelift has come from, Shriver Center's remodeling funds are independent from tuition costs.

"(Shriver Center is) an auxiliary service, meaning we only depend on ourselves for all sources of funding," Rotundo said.

According to Rotundo, this renovation cost Shriver Center about $150,000, but Shriver Center expects Tuffy's to pay for its renovations in about a year.