'Miss Representation' producer coming to MU

Ashley McLaughlin, For The Miami Student

Miss Representation, an independent film which premiered at the 2011 Sundance Film Festival and aired on the Oprah Winfrey Network in October, explores the portrayal and underrepresentation of women in America.

It focuses on women in positions of power and influence and particularly how the media misrepresents them.

Liesel Schmader, a student at Miami University, was inspired after seeing the trailer for the film and wanted to help spread the message.

She contacted the production company and discovered that she could host a screening of the film. Schmader also arranged for writer/director/producer Jennifer Siebel Newsom to speak before the film is shown.

The film is full of thought provoking interviews with politicians, journalists, academics and activists like Condolezza Rice, Nancy Pelosi, Katie Couric, Rachel Maddow, Margaret Cho, Rosario Dawson and Gloria Steinem.

These public figures "build momentum as Miss Representation accumulates startling facts and statistics that will leave the audience shaken and armed with a new perspective," Schmader said.

Schmader spoke highly of the film, saying that she felt "empowered and driven."

She worked with the production company as well as several departments at Miami organize the viewing.

"It seems as though the students that are passionate feel as if this event is long overdue," Schmader said.

She said many females at Miami feel the pressure of physical expectations or gender roles and that the film is very pertinent to Miami students, faculty and the Oxford community.

Arohi Bhatt, vice president of member development on Panhellenic Association, served on the Planning Committee for the event.

She said Panhellenic has helped support this event financially as well as marketing the event to Miami students.

"I haven't seen the film yet, but I'm excited to see it on Tuesday," Bhatt said. "I predict this film will really challenge how we perceive how women are portrayed in the media, and really question whether or not it's okay."

The film will be shown at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in Shriver Center's Heritage Room.