Miami unveils new football uniforms

Tom Downey, Sports Editor

The Miami University football team will look very different on the field next season, thanks to a surprise uniform reveal.

Darrell Hallberg, the assistant AD for equipment services at Miami University, had been working with Adidas on new jerseys for Miami. Hallberg said he wanted to surprise the players, taking inspiration from rival Ohio University's surprise black jersey reveal. He even had Adidas send information to his house and not Miami to keep the jerseys under wraps.

Senior defensive lineman Austin Brown said he knew the players would be getting new gear, but he didn't expect something brand new to the world of college football in the form of new red, white and chrome jerseys

Called together under the guise of a community service meeting, the players who were in the Farmer School of Business erupted when they saw the new jerseys, even with a technical difficult that spoiled the reveal slightly.

A departure from the traditional, old-school jerseys may not please all of the RedHawk faithful, but the players love them.

"They're great. I feel like a little kid on Christmas Morning opening up a PlayStation 3," Senior cornerback Dayonne Nunley said. "It's exciting, it's really exciting. I'm speechless."

The biggest changes to the uniforms are the red pants, red helmet and the addition of chrome. All are popular among the players.

"I like the helmet. I like the helmet a lot," Nunley said. "The red pants are sweet... I can't wait to put in on. The new chrome is sweet.... I love it."

The helmet is the most radical of the uniform changes: shiny, red and chrome with white feather detailing. The feathers are a reference to the RedHawks nickname. The helmet also features the words "Miami" etched on the back of the helmet. The facemask transitions from red to chrome as well.

The jerseys keep red and white as the main colors, but are adding a chrome flourish. Although chrome is a rather recent addition to the college football landscape, Miami has used chrome in its jerseys in the past.

Another radical change is the addition of the words "Miami" being written across the shoulder pads. Miami is the first school in college football to have its name on the pads.

The Miami uniforms in the past prominently featured the block "M" logo, but the new uniforms expand on that feature. Athletic Director David Sayler said he noticed the team's uniforms didn't say "Miami." Now they do. He says opposing teams will know they are playing Miami University.

The jerseys are popular among former players as well.

"I've got older guys calling me right now," Brown said after the reveal. "Everyone posted them on their social media. [Former running back] Erik Finklea, missed call from him. I might get a call from [former quarterback Zac] Dysert here in a little bit."

Sayler also indicated the uniforms would continue to be modified throughout this season and future ones, with the possible addition of a white helmet that is similar in fashion to the new red one. In addition, Sayler said the style and font of the lettering and numbering on the jerseys will be exclusive to Miami. Sayler said this is similar to what Adidas has done for University of Louisville on its jerseys. The new "Miami Font" will eventually be used on the jerseys for several Miami sports.

Nunley was one of the most excited players about the new jerseys, even leading an impromptu fight song chant following the reveal.

"In this day in age, you look good, you feel good and if you feel good you play good," Nunley said. "This is great. This is a new day [for Miami football]."

The Miami University bookstore will have the new jerseys available for sale in mid-August.