Miami to retire 'Big Ben's' number at football game

After two straight wins, the RedHawks look to stay perfect in MAC play Saturday at Yager Stadium against the Bowling Green Falcons, who are also undefeated in the MAC.

Nick Bonaventura

As part of this week's Homecoming festivities, the Miami University football game against Bowling Green will feature the return of former RedHawk quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

The Athletic Department announced Tuesday that Roethlisberger will be the third Miami player in RedHawk football history to have his number retired.

Also attending the game will be the other two former Miami players to have their jerseys retired, Bob Hitchens and John Pont.

Roethlisberger, who played three seasons as the RedHawks' starting quarterback, led the team to 13 consecutive victories in 2003, a GMAC Bowl victory and holds every passing record in Miami football history.

He was drafted 11th in the NFL draft by the Pittsburgh Steelers, the highest draft pick in Miami history, where he led the Steelers to a Super Bowl victory in just his second season, becoming the youngest quarterback to win the Super Bowl.

Upon hearing about "Big Ben's" return, Miami's current players were very excited.

"I was here in 2003 when Ben had his great year," said quarterback Mike Kokal. "He was a big reason why I came here, so having him at the game will be nice."

Other RedHawks echoed Kokal's sentiments.

"Anytime you get alumni at the games it's always big," said junior linebacker Joey Hudson. "But to have someone like Ben is huge."

Head Coach Shane Montgomery, who served as quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator during Roethlisberger's tenure at Miami, feels that such an important person at the game could have a big impact on the team.

"I'm sure having Ben here will get the guys excited to go out and win the ballgame," Montgomery said. "Just to have someone of his stature in the crowd can have an impact on the team's morale."

The game itself features a matchup between two teams unbeaten in the Mid-American Conference: Bowling Green comes in at 1-0 in MAC play, while Miami currently sits in a tie in the MAC East with Akron at 2-0. The Falcons are coming off a blowout loss at Boston College, while the RedHawks are coming off a victory over Kent State, their second straight win.

The 'Hawks will be starting sophomore quarterback Daniel Raudabaugh Saturday after Kokal was hurt in the win over Kent State.

Despite winning back-to-back games and possibly gaining some momentum, Raudabaugh is treating this game just like any other.

"In sports you have to have a short memory," Raudabaugh said. "After a win or a loss, you have to come out ready to win the next game."

The game may be viewed as a turning point in Miami's season, according to Montgomery.

"There's no doubt that this game can be extremely important to our season," Montgomery said. "Any wins we can get the rest of the year can be used to increase our momentum."

The RedHawks have accumulated an impressive record in Homecoming football games. They are 58-28-4 all-time in games during the Homecoming Weekend.

Not to be overshadowed in all the weekend's activities, Miami University will be honoring former Head Coach Terry Hoeppner with a commemorative plaque that will hang in the Cradle of Coaches Plaza. Hoeppner will be represented at the game by his wife, Jane.

Hoeppner spent 19 seasons as part of the Miami football program. He was a head coach from 1999-2004, helping Roethlisberger lead the RedHawks to some of their most successful seasons. He left Miami to become head coach at Indiana University, after the 2004-05 season. He passed away this past summer after complications from a brain tumor.

In addition, a major change fans may notice at the game will not be on the field-rather on the sidelines. The RedHawks will be located near the student section for the rest of the home games this season, switching sidelines.

The main reason for the change is to show the students appreciation for the high attendance at the first two home contests, according to Montgomery.

Upon hearing the news, there were some mixed reactions from some of the players.

"At first, some of us were not too happy with the change," Hudson said. "We liked it when the students kind of got on the opposing players."

However, with time, the team has become fond of being located near the students.

"I think being near the student section can be good for us," Raudabaugh said. "The students can help build up some excitement for the players, which is always a good thing."

Saturday's game is being promoted as a "RedHawk Red-Out." All fans are encouraged to wear red in support of the 'Hawks. The first 1,000 students to arrive will receive free T-shirts.

Fans are encouraged to be in their seats by 2:40 p.m. in order to witness the ceremony honoring Roethlisberger. Kickoff is scheduled for 3 p.m.