Miami theater department offers taste of Toronto in Oxford

Christina Casano, For The Miami Student

In her final semester as a graduate student, Lexi Marsh is bringing a glimpse of Canadian theatre to a U.S. audience. Marsh is directing the department of theater's second show of the season, Better Living by George F. Walker.

Better Living is about a family trying to survive in a chaotic world, a common theme in Walker's writing. This is the first play of Walker's actually set in his native Toronto. "It took him 15 years to establish a style that was his, that had defining characteristics that made him a Canadian playwright," Marsh said. According to Marsh, Walker shows the extreme moments of life and those that are larger than life.

The play opens with Nora attempting to expand her family's house the only way available to her: down through the basement. As the play progresses, the audience sees the dysfunctionality of a family comprised of Nora, the mother, her three daughters Elizabeth, Maryann and Gail, Gail's boyfriend and the mother's brother Jack. The family is upended with the return of the father, Tom, a former police officer who has extreme ideas about how to survive.

"This show is about relationships … not everyone can relate to the dysfunction, but they can relate to how a family learned to take care of themselves. It's just as important to convey on stage as a smiling, happy family," said Kelly Diturno, who will play Gail.

Marsh's thesis is based on the question "what is Canadian theatre?" A native of Massachusetts, Marsh earned her undergraduate degree at the University of Toronto and this question made enough of an impact to carry over to her graduate work. Her research is based on what makes Better Living a Canadian play rather than an American play.

Marsh's thesis is the result of her undergraduate experience and has been shaped by what she's experienced since being back in the U.S.

Marsh cites an article she read on Canadian theatre that was written by a student who claimed that Canadian theatre could pass as American if there were a few edits. "I wanted to do the opposite … find things that show [Better Living is] Canadian," Marsh said. She worked off the text as well as collaborating with designers to make it as authentic as possible.

Many of the differences between American and Canadian plays stem from the differences in the upbringing of Americans versus Canadians. "We tend to forget that Canada's a separate country, and it's not until you're there that you realize you're actually in a different country," Marsh said. The stakes are different for a blue-collar family in Canada, such as the family in Better Living. "A lot of what defines American is the American Dream. There are expectations, assumed rights, rather than opportunity. [In Canada], there aren't the same expectations which lead to different approaches to family, life and struggle," Marsh said. The cast includes seven actors, nearly all of whom are theatre majors: Grace Czerniawski, Brendan Monte, Amber Bryant, Laura Mock, Kelly Diturno, Adam Kezele and Daniel Carr.

For Grace Czerniawski, a senior, Better Living has been one of the best experiences in Miami University Theatre. "It's been an amazing show. This character has been a huge challenge … and I got to blend all my skill sets from 131 and 231 [acting classes]. It's a great way for me to leave the department," Czerniawski said.

According to Czerniawski, this show has put together her education and shown what she's worked towards in the last four years.

Better Living runs at 8 pm Oct. 26-29. and at 2pm Oct. 29-30 in Studio 88 Theatre, Center for Performing Arts. Get your tickets at the box office. Halloween costumes are welcome.