Miami tennis hopes to continue winning ways

Jordan Rinard, The Miami Student

The Miami University women's tennis team continues their road trip in the Mid-American Conference (MAC) as they travel to the University of Toledo and Eastern Michigan University (EMU) this weekend.

The RedHawks (7-9, 2-0 MAC) are looking to continue their 27-game MAC regular season winning streak and are coming off 4-3 and 6-1 wins over the then-65th ranked University of Akron Zips and the University at Buffalo Bulls, respectively.

"We definitely gained some confidence after our first two conference matches last weekend," Head Coach Anca Dumitrescu said. "But that's now in the past and we cannot take anything for granted at this level of the game. We need to continue to work hard and improve our ability to execute from the baseline and at the net. I am looking forward for Toledo and Eastern Michigan to really challenge us and have an opportunity to face adversity once again and find ways to overcome it as a team."

Freshman Christine Guerrazzi hopes to continue a streak of her own, as she is currently on a five-game winning streak with her 6-1, 6-4 victory in singles competition against the Bulls. Freshman Alix Thurman is also on a five-match winning tear in singles play after a 6-0, 6-2 win Saturday.

Toledo (7-7, 0-1 MAC) is coming off a loss to conference rival EMU where they were swept in doubles play but still managed to be competitive in a 4-3 defeat. The loss snapped a five-game winning streak for the Rockets.

Toledo sophomore Chrissy Coffman, a former MAC Player of the Week, will also look to assert herself against the RedHawks and continue her strong play after picking up a victory in singles competition, 6-1, 6-3.

Eastern Michigan (5-11, 1-0 MAC) is rebounding from a 6-1 defeat at the hands of the University of Louisville and will be looking to turn things around. The Eagles got their lone point from senior Marcela Rivero's win in singles play, 2-6, 6-3 (11-9). EMU's doubles team of senior Miriam Westerink and sophomore Nino Mebuke provided the other victory in the Eagles 8-4 win over the Cardinals.

"We are keeping the same focus we have had throughout the season, especially with the start of the MAC regular season with Akron," sophomore Christiana Raymond, who won both of her singles matches against Akron and Buffalo, said. "We are looking forward to our matches against Toledo and Eastern Michigan this upcoming weekend. Both teams are equally as important to us, so we will treat these two matches as if we were playing Akron."

The RedHawks travel to the Toledo Varsity Tennis Courts Friday to face off against the Rockets at 1 p.m. Miami then heads north to Ypsilanti, Mich. to to take on EMU at the Chippewa Racket Club, also 1 p.m Saturday.

"We are continuing to focus on our goals of winning the regular season MAC conference and MAC conference tournament, which would propel us to the NCAA Tournament," Raymond said. "We have really improved as a team, and it is exciting to see our team chemistry build as the season progresses. We will continue to battle in every match, knowing that our teammates next to us are there fighting right along."