Miami students gain experience in Over the Rhine

Samantha Callender, For The Miami Student

Miami University's Center for Community Engagement (CCE) in the Over-the-Rhine area of Cincinnati has been honored with the recognition of the National Council of Architectural Registration Board (NCARB). As one of the first centers to receive such recognition since the Fall 2010 creation of the category, the CCE will now be recognized as a Community-Based Design Center/Collaborative.

CCE holds three programs during the year, all dealing with architecture work in the Over-the-Rhine neighborhood, according to John Blake, community projects coordinator.

First is the fall residency program, in which architecture and interior design students (and other related majors) participate. A program called the "Atelier," which is geared mainly toward upper level architecture students, is held in the spring. The spring program also has an architecture studio at CR Architecture & Design, a firm in downtown Cincinnati. CCE also holds a summer design-build workshop, which has just recently wrapped up its work for 2011, according to Blake.

Typically, upper level, graduate and recent graduates of the Architecture and Interior Design program at Miami University (and the over-seeing faculty) make up the group of those who are making a difference in Over-the-Rhine. For a semester, students live in the Over-the-Rhine neighborhood in a leased townhouse, said Blake.

An academic reward of the CCE is the Intern Development Program (IDP) credit students earn for their work with the non-profit centers and organizations in the Over-The-Rhine neighborhood. Blake said IDP credit is fundamental to those seeking licensure as an architect; most states require this licensure.

"The program (towards licensure and certification) requires about three years of experience under the supervision of a licensed architect in a professional setting. Formerly, this was exclusively in a professional architecture office," Blake said. "In October 2010, NCARB allowed for some IDP hours to come from volunteer work with a Community Design Center, provided the work was under the supervision of a licensed architect."

Recognition for the NCARB means a lot not only to the program as an entity, but to the individual students who participate as well.

"It gives us a chance to do a co-op (cooperative learning), which there are very few available for us to," senior architecture major Kelsey Hillebrand said. "I really love the chance to give back to the community and I hope to continue on with urban development after graduation."

Given the lack of professional experience for recent grads and students due to the economic downturn, NCARB appears to have taken a broader view about professional experience, allowing for some non-traditional approaches for those seeking licensure.

According to Blake, this means that advanced students and recent grads can get matched up with community-based organizations in need of design services.

"The organizations needs inexpensive, but quality, design work, the students/recent grads need experience and real clients," Blake said. "It's a good match that's meeting everyone's needs."

Miami alumna Lisa Butts sees the growth of the program as an advantage for everyone involved.

"I heard about the program when in first began in 2006 from an article in The Miamian," Butts said. "Seeing what it has grown into today is amazing. I think it's wonderful that needs are being met on both ends; experiences for the students, and the bettering of a community."

Interested students can check out the website for more information regarding program requirements and involvement at http://arts.muohio.edu/cce/residency_program.html.