Miami students counter-protest religious hate group

By Angela Hatcher and Jack Evans, The Miami Student

A throng of students congregated at the corner of Maple Street and Spring Street, just outside the Shriver Center. Students walking to and from class stopped and stared, listening and observing the commotion.

It was a mob of people. All that could be heard were shouts of, "You'll burn in hell!" and responses of, "Gay is good."

Getting closer to the chaos, sweat could be seen trickling down people's faces as they stood under the sweltering sun. There was passion in the eyes of the protesters and counter-protesters. They were there with a purpose. Miami police officers Sgt. Andy Rosenberger and Officer Don Delph surveyed the area to ensure things didn't get out of hand.

The tension was tangible.

Around 11 a.m. Friday, Sept. 16, a group of protesters known as the Official Street Preachers (OSP) gathered at Miami University's Oxford campus. Armed with Islamophobic and anti-LGBTQ signs and sentiments, the group began preaching their message to whomever would listen.

"A person is not born a homosexual, the homosexual makes a decision of choice because of the perverted mind that they want to engage in homosexual and lesbian activity," said a street preacher identified as Vijay. "[The] bible says that if you don't trust in Christ and give up your homosexuality, you're going to end up in hell."

The semicircle of students that formed around him erupted in protest.

"God created people the way they are," a student cried.

"How dare you! How would you know?" another shouted.

As time crawled by, the masses of students grew in number. Some lone students got caught up in the moment on the way to class. Pairs of people walked across the street from Armstrong to see what was going on and lingered to watch the activity. Others walked by, only to return 15 minutes later with water bottles and friends.

Students of the same sex held hands and skipped through the fray. Some would grab each other and passionately kiss in front of the demonstrators. Others remained silent, holding up signs that spoke for themselves. The students all had different reasons for being there but stood united in counter-protest against OSP.

"I'm here to preach the good word of consensual premarital sex, because it feels really good, and I don't think these guys have ever heard about it," said sophomore Oliver Greive, holding a speaker blasting Lonely Island's "I Just Had Sex."

"I was out here earlier, but then I went back to go get a rainbow sticker. And then more friends and more rainbow stickers," said first-year Jess Scott, sporting a sticker.

"Honestly, I was going to pick up a package because I have class in an hour, but this is much more enjoyable," said first-year Jake Gold.

Some had a more serious message.

"This is not God, this is irrelevant. What's in Revelation? Depart from me you worker of iniquity. They talk about burning in hell, but this is hate," said first-year Sierra Evans. "My message is what's been instilled in me since birth: Love.

God is love."

Sophomore Paige Galberg held a handcrafted sign that read, "Homosex is in," next to the OSP sign that read, "HOMO SEX IS SIN."

"I identify as bisexual and the majority of my friends are LGBTQ community members or allies," Galberg said. "This is just not ok. This is sad."

Miami administrators who were present at the demonstration had positive things to say about the students' responses to the OSP protesters.

"I think the student response was overall terrific," said Mike Curme, dean of students. "It showed great support for segments of the student body who may have felt targeted by the protestors. They tried to engage in civil discourse with the demonstrators, and they acted in accordance with our institutional values."

Jayne Brownell, vice president of student affairs, offered some encouragement to students who may face discrimination and other hardships during their time at Miami and beyond.

"Miami is a public institution and we are not going to be able to shield students from the bigger issues and concerns from the larger world," said Brownell. "A lot of times they are going to be confronted with messages that they disagree with. I encourage [students] to keep supporting each other, stay engaged, educate and listen."

Miami University president Gregory Crawford also showed support for the student demonstrators in a tweet Friday afternoon.

"Thanks to those students who demonstrated Love & Honor today with peace & civility in the face of division. So proud of you all," Crawford wrote.

As the protest continued throughout the afternoon and into the early evening, students began to go back to their daily routines.

Greive, whose music had taken a different tune, turned to Vijay as he started to play John Lennon's "Imagine."

"I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will live as one..."