Miami student shares musical memories on blog

Claire Krieger, For The Miami Student

Think of a specific, memorable time in your life. Then, name one or two songs that you link with this certain period of time. Now, go play a few of your highest played songs on iTunes and think about the memories that you a sociate with these songs.

Whether or not we are conscious of it, we all have innumerable memories related with songs and vice versa.

Miami University junior Ellen DeFrance decided that she wanted to share some of her memories with others and also learn about some music memories of her friends, family and even complete strangers. DeFrance started a blog where people can share their music memories.

The mission statement of the site says the "blog is dedicated to sharing your emotional ties to songs with others. Whether they are positive, negative or just plain weird we want to hear about them."

Each entry on the blog contains a memory and includes the option to play each song while you read the memory.

"It was really a random idea that just came to me when I was walking to class one day while listening to my iPod. I guess it was inspired by the fact that I'm often reminded of memories when I listen to certain songs. I researched my idea before I set the site up and I couldn't find anything similar," DeFrance said.

The site has been up-and-running since September of this year, but, according to DeFrance, is still a work in progress. DeFrance also said she thinks some people are afraid to submit their memories because they can be very private and personal. According to DeFrance, anonymous submissions are welcome.

DeFrance said submitting a music memory to the website is really simple, all you have to do is click the link that says "submit your memory."

"Going to the blog has become part of my daily routine. It is great to be able to relate to complete strangers over their reactions to songs that have had effects on my life as well. It is similar to the popular website Postsecret in that sense. I see it becoming that popular in the future," junior Elena Rymer said.

The next time you are shuffling through your iTunes and have a music memory, share it with DeFrance at http://musicmemoriess.tumblr.com/ Check out other people's memories — they might spark one of your own.