Miami should examine all daily operating costs

Miami University is taking action to not only tighten the budget during the current economic crisis but to also consider green, cost-efficient options. The Biodiesel System Proposal hopes to convert used cooking oil from university dining halls into biodiesel fuel for use in Miami Metro buses. The proposal would save the university approximately $12,000 to $15,000 per year after the original purchase of the converter.

In addition to addressing fuel costs, Miami is working to curb rising printing and copying expenses through the bigPRINT initiative, which will examine the printers and copiers in various university departments and recommend newer equipment appropriate for their needs. These solutions would include all-in-one devices with double-sided printing. The hope is to reduce costs of ink jet cartridges and paper while being eco-friendly.

The editorial board of The Miami Student believes looking at ways to be more cost-efficient in daily university functions is a responsible way to lower costs. Improving day-to-day operations, rather than cutting programs, will negatively impact few, if any, members of the Miami community. Although buying a converter for biodiesel fuel and purchasing new printers will have initial fixed costs, the benefits of these investments will far outweigh the expenditures in time. Not only will these initiatives save Miami money, they have environmental benefits as well. Through finding a more environmentally sustainable way to use cooking oil, Miami is working to stay in tune with the green revolution and innovative technologies.

A consolidation of the printing, copying and scanning methods can help Miami become more energy-efficient in its printing needs.

The board also believes these initiatives present other opportunities for both energy and cost reducing opportunities in the daily running of the university.

We strongly encourage the university to continue investigating all daily operations for chances to lower electricity and heating usage.

The board also encourages students to get involved in finding small ways to change their habits and lower costs. Students living on campus often don't understand the high cost of energy bills until they move off campus. Miami should strive to make a concerted effort to raise awareness among students on the costs of water, electricity and heating so students can put their use in perspective.

The board hopes Miami will institute the Biodiesel System Proposal and continue to find other ways to lower the daily cost of running the university and pursue additional ways to make operations more eco-friendly.