Miami set for MAC meet

By Harrison Schwartz, For The Miami Student

Both the men's and women's track and field teams competed in their last regular season meets this weekend.

The men's team traveled to Lexington, Kentucky for the Kentucky Relays, while the women went in the opposite direction for the Dan Rankin Invitational in West Lafayette, Indiana.

Men's head coach Warren Mandrell was satisfied with his team's performance and enjoyed the meet.

"It was the first meet we've had good weather at in a while, which helped a lot with the performances," said Mandrell. "It was a nice meet for a lot of the guys heading into the MAC championships."

Junior Joey Comisford finished third in the 800-meter run. His 1:51.19 time is a season best. Junior Adam Bodrick placed fourth in the 400-meter dash with a time of 48.89.

In the 110-meter hurdles, senior Sam Chester finished fourth. He also had a season best with a 14.31 time. Chester was three hundredths of a second off his all-time personal best.

Senior javelin thrower Tyler Yee placed second in the javelin throw with a throw of 58.62-meters.

In the women's competition, junior shot putter Amelia Strickler won the shot put with a throw of 16.72m. The mark is her season best and puts her at a six-meet win streak.

Freshman javelin thrower Aaryn Gray also had a personal best and finished second in the javelin throw with a hurl of 39.07-meters.

In the track side of things, freshman Alesha Vovk placed fourth in the 3000-meter steeplechase. Her 11:38.53 time qualifies her for the Mid-American Conference Championships.

Junior Megan Beaver's 2:10.90 time placed her third in the 800-meter dash and was a personal best.

Head coach Kelly Phillips said the team had a "great" meet and is looking forward to the MAC Championships.

"Now we just train hard until conference and get ready to get it done," said Phillips. "Moving forward, the girls are excited to see what they can do in two more weeks at the MAC Championships."

Both squads are set to compete in the MAC Championships on May 14 at Ball State University.