Miami remembers former Head Coach Terry Hoeppner

Ben Garbarek

Indiana football Head Coach Terry Hoeppner will long be remembered at Miami University for his success orchestrating the RedHawks' magical season in 2003, in which they went 8-0 in Mid-American Conference play and won the GMAC Bowl.

"He made you a better person, not just a better player," senior defensive lineman Craig Mester said. "He was a real father figure, the patriarch of everyone."

Coach Hoeppner passed away this summer at the age of 59 from complications with brain cancer. A few weeks before his death, he announced he would sit out the 2007 season at Indiana because of his health, but his passing still sent shockwaves throughout the Miami community.

"He was a player's coach and really respected," senior running back Cory Jones said.

Those that were able to work with Hoeppner remember a man with infectious enthusiasm.

"He made it fun to work every day," said current Miami football Head Coach Shane Montgomery, who served as Hoeppner's offensive coordinator. "He enjoyed being around players and coaches."

Hoeppner left a lasting mark on Miami football that solidifies his legacy as one of the top coaches in Miami's history.

Coach Hep, as he was affectionately called, spent 19 years in Oxford coaching at Miami and many place him alongside coaching greats Woody Hayes, Ara Parseghian and Bo Schembechler in the Cradle of Coaches. His 19 years in Oxford is the longest stay for any coach in Miami football history.

As much as Coach Hep is remembered fondly for who he was as an individual, his achievements and success on the field leave an equally large imprint on those that were around him.

"He put a lot of hard work into this program," Montgomery said. "He left the program in good shape."

Hoeppner spent 13 years as an assistant before becoming Miami's 31st head coach in 1999, succeeding the late Randy Walker who left Oxford for Northwestern.

Coach Hep inherited an already strong program from Walker that went 10-1 the season before he took over the reins.

He quickly changed the offensive system when he took over the program even though RedHawk fans had grown accustomed to a strong running game under Walker. Even after a disappointing 7-4 season after his first year, Hep stuck with his guns and kept his passing attack in tact.

His unique strategy ended up paying large dividends as Miami emerged as a MAC powerhouse during his tenure. Miami put together a solid 48-25 record under Hoeppner and finished in the top three in the MAC East all six seasons.

It all came together for one magical season in 2003 for Hoeppner and his crew.

RedHawk fans will long remember Hoeppner's most successful season in Oxford as Miami turned heads nationwide all season compiling a 13-1 record and finished the season ranked 10th in an Associated Press poll and 12th in a coaches poll.

"2003 was the best season we've ever had," Mester said.

Miami lost a tough road contest to Iowa in the first game of the season before cruising to 13 straight victories. The RedHawks went a perfect 8-0 in conference play and went on to beat Louisville in the GMAC Bowl 49-28. Hoeppner's passing attack bombarded defenses all season with future Super Bowl champion Ben Roethlisberger at the helm. Roethlisberger became the poster boy of Miami football and went on to earn

Offensive Rookie of the Year honors with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Hoeppner and Roethlisberger enjoyed a close relationship and Hep has been credited for luring the star quarterback away from larger programs. Coach Hep wanted Big Ben on his team from the start, and Ben rewarded him for his dedication.

Hoeppner left Miami to return home to Indiana after the 2004 season.

Montgomery said it was tough for Hoeppner to leave Miami after so many years, but returning to Indiana to resurrect their program was a dream job that he couldn't afford to pass up.

While Hoeppner will continue to be missed at Miami, RedHawk fans everywhere can be grateful for the work he put into making this team better not only while he was on the sidelines, but for the future as well.

He fielded great teams during his six seasons, but most importantly he was a decent and kind person that helped others around him.

"I could always call him as a coach and as a friend," Montgomery said. "I wouldn't be where I am today without him."

There will be a ceremony honoring Hoeppner during Miami's first home football game, Sept. 15 against Cincinnati.