Miami prepares for Bulls

Sophomore running back Erik Finklea gets around an Army defender Oct. 8 in Miami’s 35-28 victory.  Finklea and the  RedHawks are looking to make their homecoming weekend a special one with a win over the University at Buffalo Bulls.
Sophomore running back Erik Finklea gets around an Army defender Oct. 8 in Miami’s 35-28 victory. Finklea and the RedHawks are looking to make their homecoming weekend a special one with a win over the University at Buffalo Bulls.

JM Rieger, Staff Writer

Sophomore running back Erik Finklea gets around an Army defender Oct. 8 in Miami’s 35-28 victory. Finklea and the RedHawks are looking to make their homecoming weekend a special one with a win over the University at Buffalo Bulls. (SCOTT ALLISON | THE MIAMI STUDENT)

The Miami University football team (2-5, 1-2 Mid-American Conference) will look to notch its third victory of the season this weekend against the University at Buffalo (2-6, 1-3), after suffering a 49-28 beat down last week at the University of Toledo.

Despite being under .500 in the Mid-American Conference this season, the RedHawks still have a chance to win the MAC East Division.

"The MAC East is still wide open," redshirt junior defensive lineman Jason Semmes said. "We feel like we control our own destiny. The coaches keep preaching that it is still a one-game playoff every week."

Miami has struggled to protect both the football and the quarterback this season. The 'Hawks are giving up nearly four sacks per game, and that number jumps up to over five per game against conference opponents.

Meanwhile, the Red and White are tied for 91st in the nation in turnover margin, and Head Coach Don Treadwell emphasized how Miami's three turnovers last week demonstrated a continued lesson to protect the football that the RedHawks must learn.

Buffalo's senior quarterback Chazz Anderson, another dual-threat quarterback, will present a familiar challenge for Miami's defense. Anderson has accounted for nearly 68 percent of the Bulls' offense this season and shutting him down will be a big focus for the 'Hawks defense this week.

"Their offense is certainly highlighted by their quarterback," Treadwell said. "He's a very talented young man and I think he has really energized them being there with them. We've faced a number of these types of guys so that's going to be a great challenge for us because he himself can make plays."

Sophomore tailback Branden Oliver will also be a huge focus for a Miami defense that is giving up over 190 yards per game on the ground. Oliver has eight rushing touchdowns on the year and is averaging over 100 yards per game through eight games.

"[Buffalo's] offense is similar to what we've seen before," Semmes said. "It helps the defense prepare. Every team is a little different but we have faced five dual-threat quarterbacks this year, which helps a lot [to prepare for this game]."

Offensively, Miami will try to establish a balanced attack, something that has been a work-in-progress up to this point in the season. The RedHawks have the worst rushing offense in all of college football and have been reliant on a dominant passing attack to move the ball down the field this year.

The Bulls enter Saturday's matchup ranked 20th in the country in passing defense. Redshirt freshman cornerback Cortney Lester, who has played very well the past few weeks and has racked up 41 tackles so far this season, leads the Buffalo defense.

Look for the Red and White to utilize their strong passing attack early and often on Saturday to create space for their running backs.

Kickoff is set for 3:30 p.m. Saturday at Yager Stadium.

Saturday's matchup is Homecoming Weekend for Miami. Tailgate town starts at 1:30 p.m. on the south lawn of Millett Hall.

Fans can listen to the game on Miami's IMG Sports Network or on WMSR at www.redhawkradio.com.