Miami Metro drivers obtain union contracts

Students wait for the Green Line of the Miami Metro near Shriver Center.

Jillian Engel

Union representatives from the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) waved flags and lobbied for support of Miami Metro bus drivers to join their union from 4 a.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday on the corner of Locust and Spring Streets, and it worked.

Forty Miami Metro employees who drive 13 Metro buses will now be covered by the AFSCME union contracts according to a 32-3 vote by the bus drivers Tuesday evening.

Terry Reed, AFSCME Ohio Council Aid organizing director, said the vote turned out to be an overwhelming message.

"We think that was a pretty clear message to their employer that they would like to make some changes," Reed said.

Miami Metro drivers are currently employed by First Transit, a passenger transportation contract and management service, with whom Miami University parking and transportation services holds a contract.

The bus drivers are not directly employed by Miami, according to Perry Gordon, director of parking and transportation services.

Maureen Richmond, First Transit spokesperson, said First Transit has a "Freedom of Association" policy that supports the employees' decision.

"It's a company-wide policy that our associates are welcome to interact with unions as they choose," Richmond said.

John, an AFSCME staff representative who wished to not submit his last name to The Miami Student for union protection reasons, supported the vote by coming to Oxford from Columbus and waving a green AFSCME flag outside the Marathon gas station throughout the day of the vote.

"I was amazed today (Aug. 25) with the amount of people they deal with," John said in reference to the Miami student body crowding the buses, sidewalks and crosswalks during the day.

Richmond said First Transit will work with their Miami Metro employees to continue the effective and safe system for students.

"The safety and security of our passengers (of First Transit transportation systems) is our first priority," Richmond said. "We want to continue to provide convenience and reliable transportation for the students."

Reed said the primary objective for the bus drivers was to be able to have a voice on the job and discuss with their management in a bargaining situation what their working conditions might be.

"These people like their job," Reed said. "They like the students and they like the environment. They're just looking for a little more respect."