Miami Masculinities Committee addresses men’s issues on campus

By Alison Perelman, Senior Staff Writer

What does it mean to be a man? That's one of the many questions the Miami Masculinities Committee will address in its panel on Tuesday.

The committee will discuss what it means to be a man, what masculinity means and the different ways to express masculinity and its influence -- both in the general society and specifically on Miami's campus.

Glenn Muschert, a professor in the department of sociology & gerontology, will act as the panel moderator. He will facilitate the discussion by asking questions and, at the end, there will be a Q&A for everyone in attendance.

"I hope that … everybody who comes will get a chance to reflect on masculinity and think about the range of possible ways to be a man," said Muschert. "Ultimately, I would like masculinity to be a positive and productive part of our environment."

The members are hoping to bring awareness to these types of conversations, kick start other events and expand the group. Senior Andrew Napora is also looking to use this as a base platform for a Greek life outreach program curriculum.

"I'm in a fraternity myself and I've noticed a lot of [toxic aspects of masculinity] surface in my time there," Napora said. "I really think that it's one of those things that not a whole lot of people actively think about as they're going about their day - nobody frames what they're doing as problematic."

Napora and the rest of the group hope to bring awareness to these problems and make it part of a more regular conversation - something that people can think about with society and themselves in mind. It's important for students to understand their behavior and reactions in relation to masculinity.

"I think that being a man at Miami is probably a little tougher than at most places, honestly … because of the general lack of diversity on campus, both socioeconomic status and also racially," said Napora.

The committee and its events aren't just for men, though - women are welcome, too.

"I hope that women come, too, to tomorrow evening's event, and I hope that women would participate," Muschert said.

In fact, the director of the Women's Center, as well as a woman who works in the Office of Wellness, attend the committee meetings regularly.

Meetings take place in the Women's Center in McGuffey Hall every other Monday at 2 p.m. The Men of Miami panel discussion will take place at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb, 9th in McGuffey room 322.