Miami is revamping its events calendar

Victoria Tersigni, For The Miami Student

Miami's online events calendar is getting a face lift. Since early January of 2013, university staff members have been working to upgrade to 25Live, a web-based scheduling and event-publishing system developed by CollegeNET.

They began rolling out the new system in August when they unveiled the scheduling side of 25Live, but they just launched the new event publishing system Nov. 8.

Assistant Registrar for Scheduling and Facility Utilization, Marsha Walters, explained how 25Live is used.

"25Live is a scheduling system that has many different capabilities," Walters said. "We are able to schedule events for student organizations, academic review sessions, and exams in one system."

25Live is open to any Miami student who would like to reserve a space on campus for their event.  

Susan Meikle, Miami's news writer and editor, said the system is easy and efficient to use.

"People who can schedule a room for their event can now also, in one fell swoop, add a description and marketing materials for that event if it is something they would like to appear on the calendar," Meikle said. "If the event has already been created, they can come back and add a photo and more information to have it added on the calendar."

According to the 25Live press release, the upgrade features other improvements. Users can "tweet events, add events to a personal calendar, send email/text reminders, and forward event information to others."

Walters said she is happy with how the system has been working. 

"So far, we are very pleased with 25Live. It is definitely an improvement compared to the older system," Walter said. "It moves quickly, it is easier to navigate, and we have had a really good response from the community overall."

She said although right now, there are many different scheduling amenities throughout campus, the university is planning to eventually integrate all of them into 25Live