Miami impresses in opening weekend at Dayton meet

Josh North, For The Miami Student

Despite devastating heat, the Miami University men's cross country team pulled out a victory at the Dayton Flyer 5k Challenge with a score of 29 points, 11 points more than second place University of Dayton. This marks the eighth time in the last nine years that the men's program has won the meet.

The RedHawks were led by junior Jarrod Eick, who finished first with a time of 15:23. Sophomore Dave Wing and junior David Eichenberger stayed close behind and finished third and fifth, respectively.

"One thing that I was very pleased with was that they ran very patiently," Head Coach Warren Mandrell said. "Since it was so hot, we wanted to make sure we didn't go out too fast. They ran a very intelligent race."

Mandrell also spoke of how the team ran together as a group, in particular redshirt freshman Daniel Garleb and freshman Ryan Moncrieff. They finished within one second of each other and rounded out the scoring for the Redhawks with Garleb finishing 10th and Moncrieff finishing 11th.

The women's team took second place at the Dayton meet despite missing four of their top eight runners. Freshman Jessica Hoover led the team finishing fourth with a time of 18:55.

"We ran mostly freshmen and sophomores, but we ran really well considering the heat," Head Coach Kelly Phillips said. "We're going to have to wait and see what our strengths are, but we did a fantastic job."

The Red and White rounded out their scoring with freshmen Alex Chitwood, Mattie Moncayo, Sammi Vaughan and Melissa Girgis.

The RedHawks will host the Miami open 10 a.m. Saturday. Both the women's and men's team will be competing.