Miami grad passes away after tasering incident

Kellyn Moran

Twenty-four-year old Miami graduate Kevin Piskura passed away at 5:17 p.m. Thursday, April 24.

His family issued the following statement:

"Today, we lost a son, a brother, a family member and a friend. The medical staff and everyone here at University Hospital were heroic in their efforts to save Kevin, and for that we are eternally grateful.

We are overwhelmed by the outpouring of support and attention our son has generated over the past few days, and we thank everyone who has kept Kevin and those involved in his care in their thoughts and prayers. In the end, it seems there was simply nothing more anyone could do. No one feels this loss more deeply than we do, however we still request that people refrain from rash judgment and wait until the independent investigation of this event is complete, lest tragedy lead to more tragedy.As we grieve the loss of our son, we ask that our privacy and that of our family be respected.

Thank you, the Piskura Family."

Kevin was surrounded by members of his immediate family and close friends. The statement said many of them "had been keeping a vigil at the hospital for his recovery."

The Miami graduate suffered injuries after an incident that occurred at 2:50 a.m. April 19.

Steven Gene Smith, a Miami graduate from Mundelein, Ill., was reportedly in an altercation with employees of Brick Street Bar when an Oxford Police Department officer on bicycle patrol saw the incident and tried to stop it.

At this time, Piskura allegedly began to fight with the Brick Street employee and the officer. After multiple warnings, Smith reportedly complied with the officer, but Piskura continued to fight and the OPD officer deployed the Taser.

The officer noticed that Piskura had labored breathing and called the Oxford Life Squad. Piskura was transported to NcCullough-Hyde Hospital and later flown to University Hospital.

OPD released the name of the officer Tuesday as 27-year-old Miami graduate Geoffrey Robinson. The Cincinnati Enquirer reported Wednesday that Robinson is on paid leave until the investigation is finalized.

Piskura's family released a statement earlier in the week calling for patience and for people not to rush to judgment about the facts of the incident.