Miami football off to worst start in school history

Joe Gieringer, Senior Staff Writer

The Miami University football team is off to its worst start in school history after suffering a 45-3 loss to Bowling Green State University Tuesday.

Miami has dropped its first nine games of the season, passing the mark set in 1988, when Miami lost its first eight games en route to a 0-10-1 record. The tie came in the ninth game of the season.

The point differential from the BG loss is the worst in school history against a Mid-American Conference (MAC) opponent, passing a a 45-6 loss to the University of Toledo in 1971.

The evening started somewhat auspiciously for the RedHawks, who responded to Bowling Green's first quarter touchdown with a 51-yard field goal by sophomore Kaleb Patterson. The field goal with 55 seconds to go in the first would be the only time Miami scratched the scoreboard.

Bowling Green (6-3, 4-1 MAC) entered halftime up 24-3, and didn't look back. Miami fumbled five times in the contest, leading to 21 points off turnovers for BGSU.

"That was tough," interim head coach Mike Bath said. "I think it was a good example of what we've been talking about the last couple of weeks of us from an offensive perspective hurting ourselves big-time in the first half. With the self-inflicted wounds, that was difficult and it's hard to overcome that when you're playing a team that's very talented and well-coached."

When the dust settled, the Falcons totaled 447 total yards of offense and scored on five of their six redzone opportunities. The top defense in the MAC held Miami to 228 total yards and kept the 'Hawks out of the red zone all game.

Redshirt sophomore quarterback Drew Kummer saw a majority of Miami's snaps in his first substantial playing time all year, and went 9-for-19 with 100 yards through the air, though he conceded several sacks and fumbles at crucial points of the game. Redshirt freshman quarterback Austin Gearing also saw his fair share of action, and was perfect through the air, completing six passes for 31 yards. Gearing picked up 33 yards on seven rushing attempts as well.

On the other sideline, redshirt sophomore running back Travis Greene passed the 1,000-yard mark in season rushing yards, becoming the first BGSU running back to pick up 1,000 yards on the ground since P.J. Pope in 2004. The Falcons rushed for 189 yards and punted just once through the 60 minutes of play.

This marks the fifth game this season that the RedHawks have yielded 40 or more points. Their opponents have outscored them 305-95 on the year.

Miami's next chance at finding its first win is Wednesday, Nov. 13, when it travels to Kent State University.