Miami falls to Wright State

Josh North, For The Miami Student

The Miami University Men's Basketball team (2-5) recorded its first home loss of the season Dec. 10 against Wright State University (4-6) 51-49.

"They were smarter than us, more aggressive than us and they played more together than us," Head Coach Charlie Coles said. "We fought hard, but Wright State fought harder."

Senior forward Julian Mavunga led the RedHawks once again with a 19 point, 16 rebound performance, but only shot 4-16 from the field. Mavunga was very disappointed about his performance and the team's performance overall.

"Down the stretch, I don't think our offense executed well," Mavunga said. "We didn't finish the game well and (Wright State) definitely had the fiercest double team all year."  

The RedHawks turned the ball over a season high 21 times and also shot a season low 30.2 percent from the field.

Despite all of the offensive struggles, the Red and White were down by two with 2.1 seconds left on the clock with Mavunga on the line. After making the first free throw, the second one hit the back iron and fell into the hands of the Raiders.

"We didn't have much [offensive] confidence out there, and we didn't seem to have much of a mental effort," Coles said.

The RedHawks played well defensively, forcing Wright State into 22 turnovers and holding them to 34 percent shooting from the field. Sophomore guard Quinten Rollins led the team with three steals and a block and has been the team's defensive leader all season.

"Our team defense was pretty good overall," Rollins said, who also led the team with five assists. "We had some lapses, but I don't think we are lacking in that area by any stretch."

Sophomore forward Jon Harris came off the bench to score 10 points, along with a clutch three with 38 seconds left to bring the 'Hawks to within two.

After a 66-61 victory Dec. 17 against Belmont University, Miami will look to close out their homestand with another victory Dec. 20 against the University of Evansville. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. at Millett Hall.