Miami extends unbeaten streak to nine in a row

Miami University sophomore forward Jess Bronke throws the ball in during Miami’s 1-0 win over Central Michigan University Friday.

Zach Maciaszek, For The Miami Student

Miami University sophomore forward Jess Bronke throws the ball in during Miami’s 1-0 win over Central Michigan University Friday. (Blake Wilson | The Miami Student)

The Miami University soccer team (9-6-3) was in control of its own destiny for winning the Mid-American Conference (MAC) regular season championship. That is no longer the case after a disappointing 1-1 tie against a winless Bowling Green State University squad (0-14-2) Sunday.

The RedHawks defeated Central Michigan University (7-3-0) 1-0 Friday before drawing the no-decision against Bowling Green on the road.

In order to win the MAC, Miami needs to beat Ball State University Thursday. They also need Western Michigan University and Eastern Michigan University to tie their match, which is also Thursday.

Head coach Bobby Kramig said he was disappointed in the effort the 'Hawks gave on the road at BG.

"I'm obviously a little disappointed in the result," Kramig said. "But at the same time, I'm not sure we deserved better. We have to be responsible for our results and our performance."

In the first half, Miami took eight shots, five of which were on goal. It was not able to capitalize and find the net and the game remained scoreless heading into the second half.

The 'Hawks lit up the scoreboard first when freshman forward/midfielder Taylor Jackson scored unassisted in the 48th minute, her second goal on the season. The lead would not last for long, as the Falcon senior forward/midfielder Kaitlyn Tobin found the net in the 50th minute.

Despite numerous chances for Miami, the game remained tied and headed into overtime, where once again, the 'Hawks were unable to put it away.

The RedHawks took 25 shots on the day, placing nine on goal. BG placed only one shot on goal, but they made it count. BG's lone goal ended Miami's shutout streak at six games.

"We probably played at about 75 percent today," Kramig said. "That's not good enough in this league, even against a team that hasn't won a game that's not good enough."

Team captain and senior forward Katy Dolesh said the team knew they were in for a rough match against the Falcons.

"We went in knowing that it was going to be a tough game because they haven't been doing so well this year and we didn't want to stoop down to their level," Dolesh said. "I thought we came out hard and played well. It was just a hard-fought game overall."

The tie against the Falcons was preceded by the 1-0 victory over Central Michigan at home. Miami came out on the attack early and scored in the fourth minute on a header by sophomore midfielder Jess Bronke.

MU senior goalkeeper Allison Norenberg set the team record for shutouts in a season with her ninth. It also extended her career record to 21 shutouts.

Despite the disheartening result against a woeful Bowling Green unit, all was not lost for the RedHawks on the weekend. Miami clinched the MAC East Division, ensuring the 'Hawks will host a game in the quarterfinals of the MAC conference tournament.

Dolesh said hosting a tournament game was one of the RedHawks' goals before the season started.

"Our goal was to be in the top four so that we can host a home quarterfinal," Dolesh said. "And then be ready to go wherever the tournament will be hosted."

Miami travels to Ball State University Thursday. Game time is set for 3:00.