Miami establishes Greek values society

Katie Sallach, For The Miami Student

Miami University has officially recognized a new Fraternal Values Society, a national organization originally created at Miami to help students understand the principles their Greek organization was founded on.

When Brian Breittholz first gathered a group of students in 1997 to organize the group, it remained an informal gathering. However, other universities followed Miami's lead and formed similar groups, leading to the formation of the national Fraternal Values Society.

In addition to Miami's Panhellenic Association, Interfraternity Council and the National Panhellenic Council, the Fraternal Values Society is Miami's fourth Greek life council.

Unlike the other three councils, the Fraternal Values Society is not responsible for correcting and penalizing negative behavior. Instead, it focuses on helping students understand and incorporate the values most fraternities and sororities were founded on, according to Interfraternity Council President, Nick Shine.

"Where the judicial board works with chapters to govern good behavior and correct wrong behavior in the community, the Fraternal Values Society works to be a powerful influence on maintaining the core values in the structures, programs and traditions within chapters," Shine said.

According to recently elected society President, Ashleigh Dubois, many people associate negative connotations with Greek life, including ideas about excessive partying and dangerous hazing. She said she hopes the society will help change the reputation fraternities and sororities tend to have.

"My main goal for the society is to go back to basics and get people to understand that these values are why the Greek system was founded," Dubois said. "I want people to learn our history and implement it now. Greek life isn't all about the parties and hazing, and I'm hoping the society will allow members and non-members to see this."

In addition to the society's historical ties to Miami, recent instances of hazing and misconduct among sororities and fraternities was an important factor in the decision to officially restart the society, according to the advisers of the society, Ian Prieto and Eric Gudmundson.

In response to these incidents, the Fraternal Values Society plans to bring students together to solve problems in the Greek system and to discuss their values and how they are being reflected at Miami, according to Dubois.

According Prieto and Gudmundson, the society consists of 30-40 students involved in sororities or fraternities and recruited during Acropolis, a Greek leadership conference. Membership is open to anyone initiated in a sorority or fraternity.

"One of the best parts of this society was bringing together such a diverse group of people," Prieto said. "They can learn and gain from each other and spread the word."

According to Gundmundson, the process has been a positive one.

"It's been really exciting to see the students really rally around this idea to better the Greek community because Greek life is such an important part of Miami."

Sophomore member of Alpha Epsilon Phi, Lauren Levine, said having the society is a positive step.

"I think that having this society is important because issues facing the Greek community should be brought into the light of Miami's community as a whole," she said.

While the society is still in an early stage, the advisors and directors have big plans for its future. Issues they will discuss include hazing, diversity, inclusion and body image, and plans are also being made to collaborate with the Women's Center and other groups to solve problems in the Greek system at Miami, Prieto said.