Miami drops two to NIU

Joe Gieringer, Senior Staff Writer

The Miami University baseball team took to the field three separate times against the Huskies of Northern Illinois University this weekend, losing twice in close games before taking the series finale.

After the drive up to DeKalb, Ill., Miami opened play Friday afternoon in what would turn out to be a pitching duel between RedHawk senior Brooks Fiala and Huskie freshman Jordan Ruckman. Only six batters for the Red and White got on base in the contest, and only two of those were by way of a hit. Northern Illinois was held mostly in check, minus the three-run second inning. Fiala (5-5) allowed seven hits with just two earned runs in seven frames pitched, but the Miami offense was nowhere to be found in the 3-1 loss.

Saturday's low-scoring game played out similarly, with the exception of sophomore catcher Max Andreson's two-out, two-run double in the top of the ninth that put Miami up 3-2. The RedHawk defense couldn't hold on though, as a couple of quick hits scored two for the Huskies in the bottom of the ninth as they completed the rally over the RedHawks, 4-3. Senior ace Mac Thoreson held the mound for eight innings, allowing just two runs (one earned) on six hits. Just two RedHawks struck out while Miami actually out played the Huskies on offense, but well-timed batting and great defense kept the RedHawks from pulling it out.

"It was a good baseball weekend in the sense that all three were quality games," Miami Head Coach Dan Simonds said. "All three games could have gone either way, and [the games] were well-pitched all weekend. All three starters did a good job throwing strikes and keeping us in the game."

Junior pitcher Seth Varner took the mound Sunday, making just his second start of the season, struck out five batters in six innings in the winning effort. Despite garnering nine hits in the contest, Miami made them count, scoring one run in six separate innings in the 6-4 victory.

"They had guys that knew how to pitch and hit their spots," Andreson, who hit a solo-shot in the top of the ninth, said. "I've just been working with coach in batting practice on trying to drive the ball up the middle and staying back. Today they were throwing a lot of off-speed [pitches], so it was helpful trying to stay back and see them."

The win puts the RedHawks at 20-22 overall, and 10-8 in Mid-American Conference play. With the weekend now over, Simonds said he has his team focusing on the future - and the first order of business is getting back to .500. Miami has a chance to do just that as the team turns its attention to the final non-conference series against the University of Cincinnati this week. Tuesday's game will be played 6:30 p.m. in Marge Schott Stadium, before the teams come to Oxford to battle it out 6. p.m. the following evening.