Miami couple to inform students about life after college

Chau Nguyen

Miami University graduates Tara and Ryan Saylor are returning to their alma mater this week to speak at a series of events regarding life after graduation.

Organizations at Miami are encouraging students to take the time to think about what they want to do after college, explained William Hazleton, a political science professor who taught both Tara and Ryan.

"Most students take the path of least resistance, and don't really think clearly about what they are interested in," Hazleton said. "(Tara and Ryan) took time to figure out what they were really interested in pursuing."

Sponsored by the Honors and Scholars Program, Tara is returning as a part of a broader effort called "Life after Miami," in which graduates return to campus to talk about their experiences after graduation.

The discussion, "Finding Yourself after College: Ethics, Nylons and Being Intellectually Challenged Your First Years Out," is geared toward liberal arts students who want to know more about the process of looking at career options after college, explained John Forren, associate director of the Honors and Scholars Program.

"Tara is a terrific example of an honors student with a liberal arts education who has found a way to turn that into a career," Forren said.

Tara, who graduated from the Honors and Scholars Program with a degree in political science, found a passion in education and is attending the University of Virginia, where she and her husband Ryan are pursuingdoctorate degrees.

Although it is primarily for honors and scholars students, all students are invited to join the informal discussion at 8 p.m. Nov. 9, in the Bishop Hall Living Room.

Ryan, who also graduated with a degree in political science, is speaking at two events Nov. 10 hosted by the department of political science and sponsored by the University of Virginia.

Ryan's visit is focused on recruiting graduate students to continue their education, specifically at the University of Virginia. At the informational session, held in at 1 p.m. in 111 Harrison, Ryan will be speaking about life in Charlottesville, Va., programs at UVA and graduate school in general. He will also be discussing a chapter from his dissertation at another event at 3:15 p.m. in 209 Harrison.

Titled "A Qualitative Perspective on Measurement: Improving Measurement Validity in the Study of State Capacity," the research-based seminar will focus on the process of state building. The seminar will show what type of research can be done at University of Virginia, Hazleton said.

Tara and Ryan are the perfect example of a Miami merger, Hazleton added.

"They are two people who met here, got married and went to graduate school in two different fields and are really supportive of each other in their endeavors," Hazleton said.