Miami continues strong MAC start, take two of three from Rockets

Miami University senior catcher Nate Bowles waits for an incoming pitch in a recent home game against Eastern Michigan University.

Joe Gieringer, Senior Staff Writer

Miami University senior catcher Nate Bowles waits for an incoming pitch in a recent home game against Eastern Michigan University. (Lauren Olson | Photography Editor)

After suffering its first Mid-American Conference (MAC) loss of the season, the Miami University baseball team regrouped and took the three game series from the University of Toledo two games to one.

The RedHawks (12-11, 5-1 MAC) got off to a sloppy start on Friday, as the Rockets (10-12, 3-3 MAC) employed timely hitting to bust the game wide open in the middle innings, scoring seven runs between the fifth and the seventh in the process. Senior right-handed pitcher Brooks Fiala (3-3) suffered his third loss of the season and saw his shutout streak end at 28.1 innings. He allowed six hits and nine runs, six earned in the contest, which ended in a 10-2 loss for the Red and White

"We got off to a bad start, and that first day we didn't play great," Head Coach Dan Simonds said of his team's performance. "[Fiala] threw better than his numbers indicate, and we just didn't play that great defensively, didn't swing the bats all that well, and we couldn't really stop the bleeding in that game. It's unfortunate, but what I liked is the way we ... took a punch on Friday and bounced back."

The RedHawks bounced back, as they drove in seven runs in the first two innings alone en route to a 13-4 trouncing of Toledo. Among the highlights of the afternoon was senior first baseman Kevin Bower's 4-for-6 effort, including three runs and two RBIs. Junior catcher John Crummy also did well at the plate, getting on base three of his five at bats as a designated hitter. Crummy scored twice and helped to drive one run in. Senior right-hander Mac Thoreson (2-3) earned the win on the mound.

"We ran the bases well, we executed well, and played much better defensively, and Mac Thoreson stepped up on the mound for us," Simonds said, referring to his team's encore effort. "He did a real good job of throwing strikes, changing speeds and being effective."

Good pitching continued in Sunday's deciding contest, in which sophomore right-hander Nathan Williams achieved his first career complete game in the 4-1 win. Allowing just four hits and three walks, Williams (3-1) managed the game well and fanned three batters after his team capitalized on three Toledo first-inning errors to go up 4-0 early on.

"A lot of it has to do with the defense behind me," Williams said. "Everyone made plays and turned a lot of double plays when we got the ground balls we needed to. But I felt good, got good run support, and it was a good win."

Sophomore outfielder Matt Honchel and senior catcher Nate Bowles each recorded two hits and a run in the outing. Honchel leads the team with 35 hits and 24 runs so far this season. Honchel was named MAC East Player of the Week for his performance over the weekend.

Miami moved over the .500 mark for the first time this year with the win, as they prepare to enter MAC East play against Akron this weekend, but first, they will have to take on Ohio State University. The game is slated for a 6:35 p.m. start in Columbus Wednesday.