Miami closes out regular season

By Harrison Schwartz, For The Miami Student

The men's track and field team continues their season at the Kentucky Relays in Lexington, Kentucky this weekend, while the women's squad travels to Purdue University for the Dave Rankin Invitational.

The men's team will compete against a field of 10 teams, including the University of Kentucky, University of Cincinnati, Eastern Kentucky University and Morehead State University.

Head coach Warren Mandrell looks forward to the last meet before the Mid-American Conference outdoor championships on May 14.

"The Kentucky Relays is a good setup and UK is a good team in their own right," said Mandrell. "If you add in some of the other good teams competing, it makes for a good high quality meet. This will be the last regular season meet. It will help us decide who will enter the MAC Championship."

Sophomore long jumper Grant Cole looks to build on the momentum of his first place finish in the long jump at the RedHawk Invitational last weekend. Sophomores Andrew Dusing and Stephen Biebelhausen and junior Joe Stewart, who achieved a season best time in the 5k at the Penn Relays last weekend, will compete in the mile-run.

Women's head coach Kelly Phillips says the athletes who didn't compete at the RedHawk Invitational after it was cancelled due to thunderstorms are "antsy" to compete.

"They are really looking forward to getting back into competition and getting some good marks," said Phillips.

On the women's side, senior Anna Lamb will run the 5k after a strong performance at the Penn Relays. Sophomore Alexus Jimson-Miller will compete in the 100-meter hurdles, while freshman Morgan Rice and junior Kathney Wollney will compete in the 400-meter hurdles. Wollney was a member of Saturday's winning 4x100-meter relay team at the RedHawk Invitational.

In field events, junior Amelia Strickler hopes to keep her five-meet first place win streak alive in the shot put.

The Dave Rankin Invitational begins Friday morning and runs through Saturday in West Lafayette, Indiana. The Kentucky Relays begin Saturday morning.