Medical school acceptance increase may not affect MU

Meghan Miller

To counteract a decrease in the number of students entering the medical field, medical schools have increased acceptance rates since 2007, according to the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC).

According to the AAMC, first-year enrollment to the nation's medical schools has increased to more than 18,000 students-up approximately 2 percent since 2007.

However, according to Dr. David Pennock, chair of the pre-medical advisory committee at Miami University, this new trend isn't likely to affect Miami pre-medical students.

"In reality, it is just as difficult to get into medical school now as it has been in the past," Pennock said.

Schools such as Mercer University School of Medicine, Texas A&M Health Science Center of College of Medicine and the University of Arizona College of Medicine have or are planning to accept more students in the coming years, according to AAMC.

However, according to Pennock, most Miami students who apply turn to medical schools in their home states, which for Miami students includes Ohio, Indiana and Illinois. So, medical schools in Texas and Georgia upping their acceptance rates has little affect on the Miami community.

The trend of staying in-state is due to a variety of factors, including cost, proximity to family and friends, and the programs offered within certain states, according to pre-med junior Jackie Zuponcic.

"Most medical schools in Ohio are public, so they're not only close to my family, they're also less expensive," Zuponcic said. "And even if acceptance rates are slightly higher in other states, it would mostly depend on the cost. So, I would apply, but I probably wouldn't attend those universities over a school in Ohio."

Even if some medical schools are intending to accept more students into their programs, though, Pennock said that Miami students do not need the help.

"The medical schools really like our students," Pennock said. "We have good students who work hard and they get into medical school at a higher rate than the national average."

According to Pennock, the average U.S. acceptance rate for medical schools is between 42 to 45 percent, while Miami has averaged 64 percent during the past four years.

"Miami students do very well, we have a tremendous support system for our medical students," Pennock said.

Pennock also mentioned the current economic crisis and the possibility of a tax hike under presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) would probably not change the number of applicants vying for spots at popular medical schools.

Pennock said the number of applicants tend to go up when the economy is in decline; however no matter the economic climate, doctors in general are guaranteed a good income.