Mavunga put-back downs Rockets

Freshman Josh Sewell goes up for a shot Feb. 9 against Northern Illinois University.

Alex Butler, Senior Staff Writer

Freshman Josh Sewell goes up for a shot Feb. 9 against Northern Illinois University. (MICHAEL GRIGGS | The Miami Student)

The statistics said the Miami University RedHawks should walk over the University of Toledo Rockets Saturday evening at Savage Arena. The Red and White were riding a three-game winning streak, held an eight-point edge in points per game, were shooting a Mid-American Conference (MAC) best 73 percent from the foul line and a glaring 1-10 Rocket conference record said it best.

Head Coach Charlie Coles boarded the bus after a narrow 68-66 win not surprised that paper had failed him again.

"… You still have to play the game," Coles said. "I knew it was going to be a tough game. We have trouble with big guards. We had trouble with Malcolm Griffin last year, and I knew we would struggle with him tonight, and he had 20 points. Toledo did a wonderful job. They had 25 baskets and 22 assists, that's unheard of."

Toledo's big guard hit his first open look for a Rocket lead a minute in before sophomore Allen Roberts netted a three for the RedHawks. Griffin hit again and Roberts continued to answer, giving the Red and White a 5-4 lead that wouldn't relinquish in the first half.

Senior Nick Winbush led the charge on a fast break and slammed it through the iron at the 12-minute mark for a nine-point lead, the largest of the half.

"Nick Winbush is out of sight," Coles said.

Winbush led the 'Hawks with 16 points and six boards.

"I can't say enough about him," Coles said. "When Ballard was here, man, they were a combination, but now Nick is the guy. Nick is unquestionably our leader and he's doing a great job of it."

The Rockets (4-21, 1-10 MAC) fought back and tied the game three times before heading into halftime down 30-29 after a late three pointer.

"We had some mental lapses on defense," Roberts said. "We got caught up on defense and it kept the game close." 

Forward Julian Mavunga connected on back-to-back trips in the second stanza for a 33-29 'Hawks lead, but the Rockets did not back down.

Toledo tied the game six more times before taking a one-point lead with seven minutes remaining in the contest. The Rockets built that lead to seven points before Winbush and Roberts teamed up for a 7-0 run to tie it at 66-66.

After a Rocket timeout, Griffin bounced the rock down the court as the clock ticked down to 30 seconds. Sophomore Orlando Williams swiped the basketball to earn the RedHawks a final possession.

Roberts just missed a game-winning jumper, but Mavunga used his soft hands to make the biggest shot of the game and earn a fourth-straight victory for Coles and the 'Hawks (13-12, 8-3).

Mavunga finished with 13 points and eight rebounds, while Roberts added 14 points and freshman Josh Sewell netted 10 points. 

"I kind of knew going in that this was a different game for us and a tough matchup," Coles said. "In basketball, you don't care what a team's record is. Sometimes you run into a team where the matchups just aren't good. That hurt us. Toledo played well, they were very hungry for a victory."

Coles will test his team's hunger Wednesday when the Red and White face first place Kent State University at 7 p.m. at Millett Hall.