Matt Costa to perform Sunday night

Emily Hennings

This Sunday, Program Board, WMSR and Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity will host singer/songwriter Matt Costa at 8 p.m. Feb. 24 in the Heritage Room of the Shriver Center, with Jonathan Rice as the opening act.

Miami University junior Tristan Chan, a member of Program Board, WMSR and Pi Kappa Phi, said that he proactively sought out an artist that could offer more of a variety to the mainstream music scene on Miami's campus.

"Matt Costa is more of an underground artist," Chan said. "I wanted to get someone that could showcase their talents."

According to Costa's Web site, Costa first picked up a guitar after a skateboarding accident shattered not only his leg, but also his dreams of one day becoming a professional skater.

Now solely dedicated to songwriting, Costa just released his second album Unfamiliar Faces under Jack Johnson's Brushfire label.

The unique indie-pop melodies of Costa's acoustic guitar playing captured Chan's musical taste. According to Costa's Web site, his latest release has earned him comparisons to The Shins, Spoon and Jack Johnson-one of Costa's biggest supporters.

Costa and Rice began a two week tour Feb. 22 in Chicago that will end March 9 in Nashville, Tenn. According to Rice's Web site, Rice has been touring in support of his second album Further North.

Together they have created a buzz with individuals across Ohio inquiring about their Miami concert, according to junior Alicia Burrello, Program Board's co-chair for the concert.

"Some people are just coming out (to Miami) for Rice," Burrello said.

Even though the concert falls on a Sunday evening, Program Board expects to fill Shriver's Heritage Room, which holds up to 300 people.

Chan said that the small venue will create a more intimate concert.

"The main purpose of this concert is to give students an extra outlet to new music, and if they chose to donate it will be going towards a really good cause," Chan said.

Burrello said that like all of Program Board's activities, the concert will be free and open to the public but members are asking for donations to benefit Push America's Journey of Hope.

The Journey of Hope is a cross-country cycling trip, covering 12,000 miles, exclusively for members of Pi Kappa Phi. It is focused on spreading a message of acceptance and understanding for people with disabilities.

"The Journey of Hope is a 63 day, cross-country cycling trip exclusively for members of Pi Kappa Phi," said senior Jake Kaple, member of Pi Kappa Phi. "The event raises funds and awareness for people with disabilities."

Senior Julia Rouse said she liked the idea of the concert supporting Journey of Hope.

"While I haven't heard many of (Costa's) songs, I would attend the concert to support Journey of Hope," Rouse said.

Since 1987, the Journey of Hope has expanded into three teams of 35 Pi Kappa Phi members and annually raises more than $500,000, according to Kaple.

The 2008 roster for Journey of Hope includes Miami's Pi Kappa Phi member, senior Adam Van Treese.