MARC provides new services to students

Chris Wrenn, For The Miami Student

On your MARC, get set, go.

Miami University's Advising Resource Center (MARC), formerly known as the Undergraduate Advising Information Office, brought in the new year with a new location, new name and a newly revamped mission statement.

Charles Burt, who joined Miami in August as Director, shed some light on how Miami's new advising center came about.

"The university committee proposed a change from the Undergraduate Advising Office to bring Miami's resources to the frontline in terms of a student-centered building that provides opportunities where students have resources readily available," Burt said.

Now located in 102 Campus Avenue building, MARC provides a slew of services.

Miami sophomore Christian Hightower is a student aide at MARC. He said some of the new services offered at the advising center have attracted students. 

"Miami University's Advising Resource Center provides students with book loans, 90-day emergency loans, as well as help directing students in the right way," Hightower said.

While their primary focus is student advising and loans, the resource center also helps navigate students to various departments such as study abroad programs and Inside Washington.

"Personally, I have been able to use Miami University's Advising Resource Center as an outlet and as an office to connect me to different resources and opportunities on campus," Hightower said, something Burt can strongly attest to.

"Our philosophy is we have a no wrong door policy, meaning we really work hard to make sure students have the appropriate resources to be successful," Burt said.

Another newly-added feature is the addition of Brendan Gillespie, a peer veteran student. Prior to his arrival at Miami, Gillespie served eight active years in the United States Navy.

"Basically, I act as a resource for student veterans on campus and provide them with anything from advice to transitioning from the military to student life," Gillespie said.

Gillespie said his office hours allow him to see just how fantastic MARC is doing thus far, adding that the center could expand further.

Miami junior Blaine West agreed.

"I think it's great that the university has an outlet for students where they can seek further advice if they feel like they have exhausted some of their options, but I wished they could advertise it better," West said.

While MARC does send out monthly newsletters, the office is still trying to get its feet off the ground. In its limited time it has already received a significant amount of publicity in the daily e-Report from the News and Public Information Office and the parent newsletter.

"We really work hard with passing information on to first-year advisers so they can relay it to the students," Burt said. "We are really starting to gain a lot of momentum."

Burt said the main focus is to connect with students and provide them with resources.

"If our office were to be eliminated and students didn't miss us, then we're not doing our job," Burt said. "Our goal is to address some of the gaps in advising as well as connect students with different branches on campus to make their experience a successful one."