Luxembourg dean to retire

Lindsey Isaacs

As Miami University's Dolibois European Center (MUDEC) gets ready to celebrate its 40th anniverary this fall, Luxembourg campus Dean Ekkehard Stiller gets ready to hand over the reigns to his position.

"This is the end of an era," said Cordelia Stroinigg, coordinator for MUDEC at the Oxford campus. "He is one of the people in the world I admire most. No one is as dedicated as Dr. Stiller."

Stiller announced his retirement April 1 after serving 20 years as MUDEC's dean and 25 years in different capabilities at Miami.

At the age of 67, Stiller said it is simply time to retire. After his official retirement in the summer of 2009, he said he plans to stay near Luxembourg with his wife and still be a part of the community, while enjoying more unstructured time.

However, Stiller said he will be leaving a part of himself with the MUDEC program.

"I am leaving with a sad heart," Stiller said. "This is the most wonderful job in the world."

Stiller was one of 64 applicants when he applied for the executive director position of MUDEC in 1989. He said he could have retired years ago but felt an obligation to uphold the integrity of the program and face the challenges of the curriculum as dean.

"I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever about my time spent here in Luxembourg," Stiller said. "I have succeeded in giving the campus a special personality where everyone feels comfortable."

According to Stroinigg, Stiller's successoris undetermined.

"He is going to be impossible to replace," Stroinigg said.

Stiller said that he announced his retirement early in order to give the university plenty of time to find the perfect candidate to take over his position.

"It takes a special personality and devotion to run this program," Stiller said. "My successor will have to have the warmth and compassion to deal with students along with the strength and patience to handle to never-ending job."

Among his many accomplishments over the past 25 years, Stiller said that he has three major successes as dean.

The first is educationally and culturally integrating the campus into the Luxembourg community.

According to Stiller, the program accomplishes this by allowing students to complete their Miami Plan thematic sequence in one semester and requiring them to take either French or German while studying in Luxembourg.

Secondly, in 1997 the campus moved to a 700-year-old chateau castle with modern infrastructure. Today, the chateau is the center of the Luxembourg campus.

"We are like a large family here," Stiller said. "The environment allows you to be individual without being intrusive."

The last major accomplishment Stiller holds dear is his work on establishing the future location of the campus. The lease on the chateau will be up in 2012, and work is being done to integrate MUDEC's new campus as part of the University of Luxembourg's newest campus, which will be located outside Luxembourg City. Stiller said the new campus will gives students the opportunity to have a more interactive European experience.

According to Stroinigg, Stiller has been instrumental in the beginning stages of the transition to the new Luxembourg campus.

Stroinigg also pointed out that Stiller is on-call 24 hours a day, seven days a week. She said he has opened many doors for students and improved the program with his diplomatic skills, bringing in world-renowned speakers as well as creating internships and scholarships for students.

According to Stroinigg, Stiller has left a mark on many students' hearts over the last 25 years.

"I am shocked he is leaving," said strategic communications major and current Luxembourg student, Corbin Pendleton. "His daily contributions to the program and concern for the students will greatly be missed."

The retirement of such a prominent figure in the MUDEC program will affect students and staff both abroad and in America.

"I thank the Lord everyday for the opportunity to work with such great students and faculity ... This is what makes my heart sing the loudest," Stiller said.