Lottie Moon's to close after March 14

After more than three years of business, the restaurant and bar sold to a new owner who will renovate the building.

Kenton Butcher

After being open for more than three years, Lottie Moon's will be closing its doors permanently March 14, according Lottie Moon's owner Matt Rodbro.

Rodbro said that while Lottie Moon's has enjoyed success and a loyal following, the decision was made to sell the bar because he is currently developing a new restaurant concept located at 115 West High St.

"In interest of limiting the number of simultaneous projects, I chose to sell Lottie Moon's," Rodbro said.

Miami University senior Ashley Vollmar started working at Lottie Moon's as a server in March 2006 and has since become a bartender. Vollmar said she couldn't believe the news.

"I was devastated," Vollmar said. "It was almost like a boyfriend was breaking up with me."

Although Vollmar and four other staff members of Lottie Moon's have new jobs lined up at Church Street Station, she said she will still miss her time at the bar.

"I'm going to miss the close atmosphere of Lottie's," Vollmar said. "You knew pretty much anyone that went in there-seeing (the) familiar faces and regulars. It was a great time. All the employees were really close too. It was like we were a small family."

The news of the closing of Lottie's has come as a shock to many of its student patrons.

"I couldn't believe it," said Miami junior Zach Burns. "I thought Lottie's would be around (for) a long time. It seems like there is always a big crowd in there and it's a lot of people's favorite bar. I'm going to miss the good times I've had there."

Even though Lottie Moon's is closing, the building will not sit vacant for long.

According to new owner, Tom Uhl, a new bar and restaurant, called Stella, is scheduled to open one to two months after Lottie's closes.

Uhl said the delay in the opening of the new restaurant is due to the extensive changes to the building and the fact that he is still waiting for the approval of the city of Oxford to begin renovations.

"Nothing is set in stone yet," Uhl said. "We still need this all to be approved before we can really move forward. I'm still waiting for the drawings from my contractor so we can take them to the city for approval. The plans should come on Saturday and then we'll go from there."

According to Uhl, Stella will serve breakfast, lunch and dinner and will have a relaxing atmosphere.

"I hope it will be a very comfortable place for everyone, as if they were guests at my house," Uhl said. "Stella will be a place where you can engage with your friends in a relaxing environment with good food, good wine and good service."

To celebrate the closing of Lottie Moon's, drink specials will be offered March 10 and will continue until the morning of March 14, when Lottie Moon's will close its doors for the last time.

"We expect the celebration to begin on the 10th and carry through until Green Beer Day," Rodbro said. "We hope that all of our patrons will take this opportunity to say goodbye to our staff and have a final drink at Lottie's."