Locals arrested for summer break-ins

Bethany Bruner, News Editor

If it seemed like there were more burglaries than usual this summer, it's because there were.

Sgt. Jim Squance, public information officer for the Oxford Police Department (OPD) said the department saw a "rash" of burglaries this summer as compared to previous summers.

Squance said the number of burglaries during any given summer varies, but usually there are not many to report.

Between August 9 and August 22, three burglaries were reported related to student rental properties on Withrow and Poplar streets. Two of the burglaries took place at the same residence.

OPD arrested Adam Morris, 20, and James Byrd, 24, both of Oxford, in relation to the break-ins.

The first burglary was reported as occurring between June 9 and June 14. The resident reported a Wii game system and accessories, Panasonic TV, blu-ray player and Nintendo 64 gaming system and accessories stolen. The total value of items reported stolen was $1,600. Two bedroom door frames were reported as damaged and estimates have that at $100.

Officers at the scene were able to obtain a fingerprint from the window. Officers believe the suspects entered through the window and left through the front door.

The second burglary, reported at the same residence, occurred between June 14 and June 22. The resident reported a digital camera, iPod, speakers, blu-ray player and flat screen TV were missing.

At the scene, officers were able to recover palm prints.

On June 18, members of the Delta Chi Fraternity reported a break-in had occurred. When officers arrived at the scene, the caller refused to let officers enter the residence, but filed a report later.

Reported missing were two laptop computers, an Xbox gaming system, flat screen TV and two fraternity composites, with a total value of $6,650. A nine-week old American Pit Bull puppy was also reported missing.

The puppy was later found by an officer patrolling on College Corner Pike in the possession of Morris and another male.

An informant of the OPD gave officers information identifying Byrd and Morris as the persons responsible for the burglaries. According to police documents, the informant told police Byrd and Morris would go uptown and then break into homes on their way back to their residences.

On June 22, OPD executed a search warrant on Byrd and Morris' residences. Morris agreed to talk to officers and admitted his involvement in the burglaries.

Byrd was charged with burglary for one of the break-ins. Morris was also charged with burglary, as well as drug abuse and paraphernalia charges stemming from a glass pipe and small pile of marijuana found in his residence.