Local organic network to open natural food store

Jes Stringfield

The Miami Oxford Organic Network food cooperation (MOON) is working to open a natural food store within Oxford's Mile Square that would sell organic foods such as beef, pork, chicken, fruit and vegetables from local and national farmers.

MOON, which was founded in 1999, currently has 463 members who co-own the operation, and has developed into an organization devoted to the opening of a year-round natural food store that provides local residents and Miami University students with healthy food in addition to supporting local sustainable agriculture.

"Co-ops form when products people want aren't available," MOON President Bernadette Unger said. "A co-op doesn't operate the same way as other companies operate because the members are also owners of the co-op."

Unger said membership has increased since the green movement and natural food interest started.

"Interest in organic food is high," Unger said.

Charles Ganelin, vice president of MOON and professor of Spanish at Miami, said the increased interest in organic food is due to increased awareness about natural food.

"There is an interest within our community," Ganelin said. "We have two farmers markets (in Oxford), and there is a national movement in the food industry toward natural organic food."

Ganelin said he is confident MOON's natural food store would be successful in the area because of this increased interest.

"Attendance has increased greatly at both markets (Talawanda and Oxford)," Ganelin said. "People have heard about the upcoming store and want to join (MOON) because of it. By joining, you help us to get the store more quickly."

But a time frame for the store's opening has not yet been determined, and Unger said MOON is still negotiating for the perfect location to meet their needs.

In the meantime, MOON is actively searching for a general manager to run the natural food store, Ganelin said.

"An ideal candidate would be a person who knows the co-op business and can do community outreach things while still running a business," Ganelin said.

MOON member Shana Rosenberg, a lifelong resident of Oxford and a Miami alumna said she supports the idea of a natural food store. Rosenberg joined MOON in October 2008 at its HARVEST Festival and said she feels the store would be a good idea.

"The people who have come together for MOON have a very positive vision for community," Rosenberg said. "Everyone would benefit from the store opening. I want to see the growers and consumers come together in this retail store."

Blake Jennings, head chef at Kona Bistro, constantly works with organic foods for specials and everyday menu items and said he likes the idea of a natural food store.

Jennings said customers are drawn more to everyday products that are natural because they think about the alternative.

"It's the better choice and I wouldn't have to rely on Cincinnati to get things," Jennings said. "It would give me a chance to utilize some local services."