Local Kroger looks to expand facilities

Oxford's local Kroger has announced that it may be expanding its walls to include the neighboring venues as part of the city's gorcery store.

Erin Fischesser

Oxford shoppers may soon have more of a selection during their shopping trips at the city's local Kroger grocery store.

According to Alan Kyger, Oxford economic development director, Kroger has contacted the city about expanding the store.

Kroger Spokesperson Rachel Betzler said that the company is still determining what will happen inside the store, but so far the plans are to expand the store.

"It's in the planning stages because a number of city procedures need to be followed," Kyger said, pointing out that since Kroger was built, city standards have been changed and an expansion would require Kroger to ask the city to forgo current regulations in order to continue their plans without major renovations to other aspects of the property.

The potential expansion would include a drive-thru pharmacy lane on the south side of the building. Plans for a fueling station are also being reviewed by the Oxford Planning Commission.

According to Kyger the expansion would require the demolition of 14,000 square feet of current retail space. This space currently houses China One and the former site of GNC, which has been moved and renamed. Other storefronts in the strip are currently unoccupied.

"(The expansion) is not causing those businesses to go out of business," Kyger said, mentioning that China One might possibly find a new home at another Oxford location.

Kyger said that the expansion, as well as growth of other stores in the shopping center, is good news that a lot is going on in Oxford.

He said he hopes the expanded Kroger store will better serve Oxford since the current store is slightly outdated.

However, Kyger is still realistic about potential pitfalls.

"You never know, things change," Kyger said.

According to Kyger, Kroger has shown past interest in moving to the old Wal-Mart site on South Locust Street, but is now set on remodeling in the current location.

"Kroger did engage in talks to take over the old Wal-Mart store," Kyger said, but added that Wal-Mart controls who leases the property until their contract ends in 2019, and did not want competition entering their old location.

According to Kyger, it is in the best interest of the shopping center and the city of Oxford for Kroger to expand and remain in its current location.

He said he believes that a majority of Oxford residents would prefer that the store stay in its current location for convenience.

According to Kroger Project Manager Steve Stonebreaker, the company is still going through planning stages but remains hopeful for the expansion plans.

"Presumably if all goes well, we'll be able to start in the spring of next year," Stonebreaker said.