Lithuanian Club brings cultural diversity

Natalie McKerjee, Senior Staff Writer

Students at Miami University are looking to advance the presence of different cultures on campus with the newly formed Miami Lithuanian Club.

According to first-year Chris Comer, one of the founding members, the club is more of a social club that celebrates connections in the Lithuanian community.

"We are a club with the intentions of promoting Lithuanian culture, history and its people, but primarily we are a social club," Comer said.

Miami senior Vitus Pelsey said the Lithuanian Club, and others like it, could thrive and benefit Miami students.

"The beginning of a new Lithuanian student organization could fare very well in the same ways, provided that it keeps a very open community focus instead of becoming too secular," Pelsey said.

According to Comer, the club currently has five members and a club adviser, Neringa Klumbyte, an anthropology professor who focuses on Eurasia, the European Union and Lithuania.

The four founding members did not know each other before attending Miami, but are focused on increasing membership and providing a comfortable atmosphere for Lithuanian students at Miami, Comer said.

Junior Ramune BartuškaitÄ— said the club has allowed her to maintain the connection she has with her cultural heritage while living at Miami.

"I joined the Lithuanian Club because I was really involved in the Lithuanian community back in Cleveland and I needed to be part of something that would help me keep my heritage alive," BartuškaitÄ— said.

Comer said meetings for the club consist of social activities that allow members to embrace their Lithuanian heritage.

"Since we only have five members, our ‘meetings' are usually dinner where Silvija and Ramune gossip in fluent Lithuanian while Danas and I stare blankly at each other," he said.

One event the group is looking forward to is the Lithuanian Culture Festival July 4, 2012.

According to Comer, the event is a song, dance and drinking festival that happens every four years in various locations. The 2012 Festival will take place in Boston, Mass.

According to Pelsey, groups similar to the Lithuanian Club are most effective when they allow a variety of students to become familiar with the culture.

"I think the success in the groups that have been more successful in raising cultural awareness has effectively used performance as an entry point to their customs," Pelsey said. "By the performance aspect of these cultures becoming a sort of tradition of our own Miami population, students who otherwise might have not had the exposure are provided with a venue to familiarize and identify with these traditions."

Pelsey also said the club hopes to develop and build upon the strong foundation that has already been established by the current members.

"Right now we are really looking to expand the club, meet and reach out to new Lithuanians," Comer said.

According to BartuškaitÄ—, the club serves as a resource for Lithuanian students to celebrate their heritage while informing other students.

"There are not many of us out there and I feel a certain commitment to my Lithuanian friends and to my culture," she said. "We can help each other learn more about our nationality by sharing experiences and helping others be aware of our heritage and all that it has to offer."

Lithuanian students who are interested in joining the club or would like any information are encouraged to contact Comer at comercj@muohio.edu.