Life without peanut butter

NoÃlle Bernard, For The Miami Student

Murders, protests and gunshots plague the neighborhoods around Palermo, Argentina where Miami University senior Bethany Bateman lives and searches endlessly for a simple jar of peanut butter. Bateman is currently suffering withdrawal from her coveted spread while studying abroad in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Bateman said via Skype her international studies major requires her to study abroad at some point in her academic career.

"I'm studying in Buenos Aires, Argentina for the purpose of learning different aspects of the culture, be it the language, the food, the music, the people," Bateman said. "My concentration (in school) is Latin America, (and) it will obviously serve me in the future in finding a career that deals with Latin American culture."

Since July, Bateman has been living in Argentina, busying herself with learning the Tango, snacking on empanadas and conquering her fear of crowds.

According to the Institute for Study Abroad (IFSA), Greater Buenos Aires is populated with approximately 13 million people. The seventh largest city in the world, Buenos Aires has incorporated influences from Italy and Spain that set it apart from stereotypical portrait of Latin America.

Machismo

Bateman, along with the other IFSA American females have learned the appropriate response to the machismo (distinct societal behavior of the Argentine man) mentality.

"One time, I was walking home from class and a guy walked towards me and grabbed my hand, winked and said, ‘Hola, princesa (hello princess),'" Bateman said. "In the beginning, I found it a little offensive, so I usually flipped them off, but now I've realized that it's the culture, so I just ignore it and keep walking like the other Argentine girls."

However, Bateman said living in Argentina has fueled fear and frustration.

A different culture

Since Argentina is a nation struggling to maintain uncorrupted democracy, political instability is a large issue. The government is trying to tackle these problems amidst protests, rallies and murders.

A garbage strike that lasted from Oct. 17 to 19 served as just one demonstration against the Argentine government.

"The garbage collectors refused to pick up any more trash around the city until the government built them a mechanical ramp to aid them in the city dump," Bateman said. "The government had promised them one, but had yet to build it. Because of this, Buenos Aires walked through 20,000 tons of trash."

According to the book Breve Historia Contemporanea de la Argentina, Argentina has endured multiple political paradigm shifts for decades. In light of these changes, the people have been lashing out in hope to show the government that a need for honor and reliability is necessary.

"It's just so sad because for the most part we all strive to obtain the same thing, to live the best we can," Bateman said. "We just have different opinions on how we might obtain such things."

Overcoming fear

According to Bateman, living in Argentina can be dangerous as a product of the political instability. The instability creates societal desperation that overwhelms the city and breeds crime.

"A handful of my friends have been pick-pocketed," Bateman said. "One was robbed by three kids (all under the age of 17), and three were surrounded by a few guys who threatened them that they had a gun."

However, Bateman is not fearful living in Argentina because she remains prepared and makes herself cautiously aware of her surroundings.

"I'm not afraid so to speak, so much as I just have to make sure I'm situationally aware at all times and I carry a knife," Bateman said. "I think that fear would just make me paranoid, so I just have to make sure that I'm cautious because although there is much desperation and crime done in Buenos Aires, there are also good people here."

A complete immersion

Bateman applied to join a number of students from around the nation through the IFSA for a chance at studying in a nation that spoke her favorite language, Spanish.

According to junior Ryan Boyer, Argentina is the perfect place for Bateman.

"She talks to everyone in Spanish and it's annoying sometimes because she knows we don't understand it," Boyer said. "Now, in Argentina, everyone understands her."

Bateman read several books regarding reggae music, salsa dancing and the Argentine beverage of choice, mate, when she was accepted into the program.

"I could read every book in King Library about Latin America, Argentina, Buenos Aires and still not be prepared for life here," Bateman said.

Beyond the research, Bateman had to face the reality that she would only understand Argentine culture through complete immersion. She knew that any expectations would be in vain, so she hoped for the best but expected the worst.

Currently, as a visiting resident of Argentina, Bateman is reminded daily of her life back in America and advises other students interested in a study abroad experience to be open minded and humble.

"You have to understand that you're going to look like a fool, but you're going to have a good time if you allow yourself to do so," Bateman said. "It's all one huge experience, and you might never get the chance to do it again. There are so many things another country can teach you. You just have to make yourself teachable."

A new flavor

Bateman returns to the United States in December, where family and friends are already anxiously waiting to hear about her adventures and encounters.

According to her twin sister Danya Bateman, a countdown is already underway.

"I'm so excited," Danya said. "We've already planned out what we're going to do when she gets here. We're going to have a big sleepover and eat a bunch of American food."

Bateman is also excited to return to her family and friends.

"I'm so excited to be with my friends again and have that security and foundation that I've been missing so much," Bateman said. "Being in Argentina has been so wonderful, but Dorothy knew what she was talking about when she said ‘There's no place like home.'"

Bateman has remained unsuccessful in her search for peanut butter. However, she has been introduced to a popular substitute called dulce de leche.

"The closest thing I can think of to dulce de leche is caramel," Bateman said. "I tried to ask where (peanut butter) was, and my host sister asked me, ‘Why do you need peanut butter? We have dulce de leche.'"

Despite going months without a taste of home, Bateman said she would gladly do it all again.

"It has been absolutely incredible, eye-opening, challenging, frustrating, wonderful, difficult and horribly fun," Bateman said. "I've had the time of my life. I met a nine-year-old little girl whose mother is a beggar and whose father died of cancer. She taught me so much about my own life and what I have, what I don't, what I need and what I take for granted … Honestly, I could never regret a single moment that I've had here thus far