Libraries delay check for lead contamination in books

Allison Mitchell

Children's stores and libraries nationwide are beginning to remove and destroy thousands of lead-containing products in accordance with the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA).

In an attempt to prevent children from being negatively affected by lead, Congress passed the CPSIA in August 2008, stating that beginning Feb. 10, 2009, all items sold to children under the age of 12 must be taken off the shelves and tested for lead and phthalates-chemicals used to make plastics more bendable.

The fact that many children's books can be contaminated with lead has forced local libraries to cope with CPSIA requirements.

According to Lisa Hamrick, manager of the Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County, it is nearly impossible to test each book in every children's library for lead content.

"With 1.2 million books we would not be able to check all of them realistically," Hamrick said. "The funding is just not available."

Some libraries, including the Middletown Public Library, and media outlets have stated an extension has been granted to allow more time for proper product

testing. However, Arlene Flecha, spokesman for the Consumer Product Safety Commission said this is incorrect.

"An incorrect statement has been floating around the media that says an extension has been granted to libraries and other stores," Flecha said. "The stay applies to manufacturers and importers only. We have provided guidelines for libraries, and books made after 1985 are not a risk. Granted, this applies to ordinary paperback and hardcover books, excluding certain children's books that may be more creatively designed."

While some of the larger libraries are having a more difficult time keeping the lead content issue a main priority, other libraries like the Middletown Public Library have already started to take action.

"For our summer reading program, we had ordered incentives to reward the children, and we found they had lead in them, so we sent out letters to families and sent the products back to the manufacturer," said Melinda McClure, a librarian for the Middletown children's department.

McClure said the bendable toy prize was part of a statewide reading program and affect more libraries than just the Middletown Public Library. She said the Middletown library would abide by any rules issued by the government in the future, but they are not actively testing books at this point.

The CPSIA emphasizes lead testing on children's books, cassettes and CDs, printed board games, posters and other printed items used for children's education. Some inks may not be required to be tested at this point, but paper, cardboard, bindings, glues, laminates and various inks must be tested. Older books may be especially affected by this mandate due to the higher amount of lead content contained in their inks.

"In sales, the mandate has to do with a ban on books with a large amount of lead content, and so far in our experience, books made prior to 1985 may have higher levels of lead," Flecha said.

While no deaths or injuries have been reported due to lead related influences, children's stores and libraries nationwide, particularly those that do not buy in bulk, may be forced by the CPSIA to close their doors and begin testing.

"It is not our intention to close down libraries and stores, but we do have inspectors and that's part of our enforcement activities," Flecha said. "We are providing as much information as we can, and we have provided specific guidance for not only libraries, but also for secondhand stores and others as well."