Letter-writing proposal could distinguish Miami

Amy Biolchini

Student Body President Mike Scott's proposal to have current Miami University students write letters to accepted students can add a critically needed personal touch to students' acceptance letters and help student organizations become actively involved in recruiting and ensuring the future success of their organizations. The Miami Student editorial board believes this program could help promote the diversity of student organizations on campus and get active members more involved in furthering the depth of their student organizations.

Organizations could include letter-writing as part of their meetings. The letters could be divided among the various student groups based on the potential student's area of interest. Talented high school students get accepted to many academically competitive universities, and this program can help high school students to see Miami has more than just a classroom-learning environment. This program could help potential students view Miami as a university of involved and motivated people.

A letter from a member of the Associated Student Government to a student who is interested in getting involved in student government could set Miami apart from the other schools in which the student was also accepted. Potential business majors would appreciate a letter from a marketing or investment club.

Because Miami has such a wide range of student organizations, the letter-writing campaign would address accepted students' overwhelming feelings of uncertainty about the future and whether or not they will find a niche at Miami. This program could help high school seniors learn about many of the opportunities Miami offers and help incoming students find their place at this medium-sized public university.

Each letter should have the contact information of the student organization and the person who wrote it so high school students could contact the writer and ask for the real answers about being a Miami student, not just relying on information from sources such as The Princeton Review or campus tour guides. This proposal could also help high school seniors make an informed decision. Seeing a list of all the student organizations is not the same as getting a personal letter from someone who is an active member in the organization in which one hopes to become involved.

During the current economic times, this program can help differentiate Miami from other Ohio public schools and help potential out-of-state students learn more about the university. By extending personal attention to accepted students, student organizations can motivate potential students even before they arrive on campus.

This editorial board encourages Scott to work with administration to initiate this program and Student Body President-elect Jonathan McNabb to expand it beyond ASG to other student organizations on campus.