Letters to the editor

Oxford Police Dept. works diligently to solve crime

I read with some dismay the Oct. 5 viewpoint in The Miami Student titled, "Oxford Police Department must adopt more proactive approach to capturing sex offenders."

While the article may accurately chronicle the opinion of the writer's experience with the Oxford police it does not do justice to reality.

Since Jan. 1, 2006 the Oxford Police Department has answered more than 50,000 calls for service within the city of Oxford. Priorities notwithstanding, each and every call is important to the police department.

Included in those 50,000 calls are 15 reports of indecent exposure. Those 15 reports include streakers, people having sex in public, flashers and people in cars masturbating. Of those 15 reports, seven arrests have been made, six reports are currently inactive awaiting new information and two are active investigations.

Descriptions of suspects and vehicles involved are quickly sent out, not only to the "three police departments within 5.7 square miles" but all police departments in southwest Ohio and adjacent counties in Indiana. It is na've to assume that all suspects of crimes will be located in Oxford area proper. It is a fact that a number of crimes perpetrated in Oxford, especially on Miami students, are by persons not living anywhere near Oxford. This is also true for suspects that have been arrested for indecent exposure in the past.

In January 2006 a Miami University female student was raped on North Campus Ave. This is a case that is nearly two years old, yet the Oxford police are still actively investigating. In fact, in the first half of 2007 a detective from the Oxford Police Department and a detective from the Miami University Police Department spent most of their time in Connersville, Ind. investigating a related rape. If we solve that one, we solve ours. And please note-Connersville is well out of the 5.7-square-mile range around Oxford.

The police realize that victims of crimes are usually surprised by the event and even traumatized. Victims often are unable to provide specific details of the perpetrator to the police, yet the police will take the information provided and work with that. While one victim may see a red Ford Taurus, the next sees just a red car. In addition, many victims are unable to identify the suspect, because they instinctively do not look at the face and attempt to leave the area immediately. Again, the police will work with what they have.

Oxford police detectives investigate more than 300 criminal cases per year. Victims are very important to them-however-each victim is different. Some want regular communication with the detective while others only want to know when something significant occurs and others want no further contact. Oxford police detectives are on call 24 hours a day seven days a week. If a person needs to contact a detective, it is pretty easy.

I do agree with the writer in her last paragraph. "Girls, be on your highest alert for this man in a red Ford Taurus, or any other questionable individual." Responsibility for your personal safety begins with you.

Sgt. Jim SquanceOxford Police Dept.jsquance@cityofoxford.org

Talawanda school system deserves Miami backing

Having read the Sept. 25 viewpoint and Oct. 5 article regarding the upcoming ballot issue to update the Talawanda School District's facilities, I feel the need to voice my perspective as a Talawanda graduate and Miami senior. I was born in Oxford and have lived here my entire life. I attended Talawanda schools and have four younger brothers who are currently enrolled in the district. I know firsthand that it is urgent that we make the changes necessary to upgrade Talawanda's buildings-some of which are nearly condemnable. While the kids of our community certainly deserve much better, Miami students should also understand that this bond issue affects Miami's reputation.

First of all, the suspicion that top-notch Miami professors and staff are leaving due to the sub-par academic and safety standards of Talawanda's facilities is, in fact, a reality. The Talawanda School District has already experienced an 18 percent decline in enrollment since 1995, according to the Talawanda Together information brochure (www.talawandatogether.org). From what I've experienced as an Oxford native, I can attest to the accuracy of this statistic. This being said, Miami will become a more attractive workplace to high quality professors and staff in the future if the local school district's facilities become up to date.

Which should Miami students support the local schools? I would also like to say that while being a student in the Talawanda school system, I had about a dozen student teachers from Miami. Miami's traditionally high numbers of education students need to have local facilities that meet modern standards so student teachers and volunteers can receive quality real-world experience. During my three years of volunteering in the Talawanda After School Foreign Language program at Kramer Elementary, I constantly wondered why the aged school still holds students.

When chatting with my peers, I often hear people express that Miami is indeed a "bubble," but that schoolwork prevents any intentions of community involvement from becoming reality. Supporting this bond issue is a small gesture Miami students can make to help uplift the status of education in our community for decades to come. All in all, I hope that us Miami students understand that Talawanda schools affect Miami and that we have the power to decide the fate of this issue Nov. 6.

Glenn Danielsondanielgj@muohio.edu