Letters to the editor

Western College Program experiences lost forever

Finally, after a year discussing, elaborating and venting in editorial sessions as an editorial editor of The Miami Student, this new staff (that is soon to see through another turnover) has struck truth in its Feb. 1 editorial, "Western College Program must remain in forefront" regarding the fate of the Western College Program.

I similarly divined in my nearly 2-year-old column (March 24, 2006, "Miami will suffer if Western College Program is lost") that Western is a model for other university programs, even as a trend to corporatize education sweeps through the educational institutions of this nation. Western attracted students that normally never batted an eye at cookie cutter Miami University and, most of all, Western retained those students.

I am nostalgic for the woods, for the shining moments of argument in Alexander Dining Hall, for the eeriness of strolling past Helen Peabody's portrait in the early hours of the morning. But I am not nostalgic for a university that sliced its only glory into pieces; that alienated generations of Westerners and yet plagues our voicemails with dire requests for donations; that has hidden its gem behind the dragon-the College of Arts and Science.

I am severe. I am overly metaphoric. But I cannot shake my utter disturbance, sadness and fury at what I know can no longer be salvaged. No one will ever be able to experience what Western was once to me, was once to hundreds of others, no one will ever again experience the Western that instilled in me the strongest sense of pride and love and loyalty that I have ever known. Tell me, do you know those senses?

I hope the new Westerners will.

Emily Brown browneb@gmail.com

Student groups support community crisis centers

On behalf of my colleagues at the Butler County Rape Crisis Program, I would like to express my sincerest thanks to the members of the Association for Women Students (AWS), as well as the performers and attendees of last weekend's production of Vagina Monologues. The majority of our staff attended the Friday night production in Peabody Hall, and as always, we were entertained and inspired by the performance. The Rape Crisis Program is the designated beneficiary of the proceeds from Vagina Monologues, which is a gesture that is greatly appreciated. Our program is entirely grant-funded, which often means we are limited in our ability to expand our services, or purchase updated equipment or materials. The proceeds from Vagina Monologues will help to ensure that we are able to continue providing crisis intervention, outreach and education about sexual violence to more than 4,000 survivors, students, professionals and individuals in our community each year. AWS understands the importance of addressing the issue of sexual violence, and we are proud to partner with its members in this endeavor. To everyone involved in Vagina Monologues, thank you for supporting the work of the Butler County Rape Crisis Program.

Becky Perkins, DirectorButler County Rape Crisis Programperkins624@yahoo.com

Clinton column flawed, distorts Obama's record

I find it satirical that The Miami Student writer Jonathan Gair sought to resort to Senator Hillary Clinton's (D-N.Y.) smear campaign of Senator Barack Obama (D-Ill.) when the Feb. 5 point-counterpoint headlined "Presidential breakdown" is meant to be an "examination" of Clinton. Such comments as Obama being a candidate who, "only has personality" is distorting a public service record that his fellow Student writer took time to research in advance of this publication. In addition, this overtly biased piece is reminiscent of Bill Clinton attempting to downplay Obama's success by reminding the American public that, "Jesse Jackson won South Carolina, too." I would like to applaud Michael Bain for sticking to the subject in his article and choosing not to resort to personal opinion and distorted deductive conclusions about Hillary Clinton. Such child's play is the driving force of many Americans bypassing a vote for Hillary Clinton to a vote for Obama. Stunts like Gair's are the reason Americans are now looking to Obama for the restoration of Americans and a united United States.

Jasmine DixonZeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.dixonjl@muohio.edu