Letter to the Editor | Demolition destroys not just Patterson Place, but ‘good will’ with Western alumns

What to say, where to start -it's difficult to be unemotional about Miami's current actions regarding Patterson Place. In the worst terms, it feels like being taken advantage of, both of the campus and of the constituency of the Alumnae Association. There are no best terms.

This is the worst case scenario, which Western students, faculty and administration were concerned about for years - the predatory nature of Miami and the complete disregard and lack of respect for its history and heritage. The university has taken advantage of the Western principles toward student diversity, commitment to an interdisciplinary liberal arts education and other activities associated with Western, such as Freedom Summer, using them to enhance their reputation. At the same time, of course, they have happily accepted the financial support for scholarships and cultural programs raised by the Western Alumnae Association, which have also contributed to their growth and success.

With one decision to destroy Patterson Place, Miami University has completely eliminated the 'good will' cultivated and built up over the years between the Office of Institutional Advancement/Development Office and the Western College Alumnae Association (the only college alumnae association, I understand, still functioning without a college - quite an accomplishment for both the university and Western alums).

When Western closed in 1974, I stopped contributing for 16 years. It was only after it became clear that Miami was supportive of Western principles and showed interest in integrating some of these principles that I returned as a donor.

This action completely destroys a lot of hard work done to mend that relationship. Miami should realize the impact this decision regarding Patterson Place will have on financial support. They may or may not be aware of the depth of emotion, the potential financial resources of alumnae and the potential withdrawal of financial support that an act like this can incur, let alone the effect on the university's reputation. There will be consequences of this decision, unintended or not. I, for one, will not include Miami in my estate plans even though I married a Miami graduate. He was always supportive of the time and money I contributed to Western, feeling more emotional attachment on 'the other side of the road' than to Miami.

What to say? This is a misguided destruction of a historical site for purposes of a supposedly improved physical plant, which will likely have negative financial and public relations implications.

This is a difficult issue for Western alums who feel so connected to and protective of their experiences, their campus and its history. While we recognize the WCAA has no control over this type of decision that Miami seems, at times, to make in a vacuum based solely on financial issues, I felt it necessary to voice what myself and other Western alumnae think and feel on this issue.

Suzanne Lutz

May '66,

Former Assistant Director of Admissions,

Former Alumnae Association Trustee,

Former Chair-Scholarship Committee