Kroger uses digital coupons

Leslie Scott, Staff Writer

Kroger has started a new digital coupon system in order for shoppers to save even more money with their Kroger Plus cards.

According to Rachael Betzler, Kroger public affairs manager, digital coupons started at Kroger about a year ago.

Customers can log on to the Kroger website, register their Kroger Plus card and start adding any coupons offered directly to their card.

"Coupons are loaded within an hour and ready to be redeemed when you shop," Betzler said. "It's that simple and you can load up to 150 offers."

Miami University junior Jessie Rains had never heard of digital coupons before this; but, she thinks it's a great idea.

"As a student, I don't get a newspaper and I'm not going to take the time to clip coupons," Rains said. "Also, as a student, it is awesome that it saves me money because I feel like students are always looking for good ways to save."

Betzler said customers can print out a list of coupons they added to their card in case they forget.

She said the popular grocery chain will not be doing away with paper coupons anytime soon.

"As long as there are paper coupons being circulated, Kroger will continue to accept them," Betzler said. "Also, I have no indication that newspapers will stop offering (paper coupons) in the Sunday papers."

Switching to digital is very convenient for those who really embrace technology, Betzler said.

"Some people would rather load coupons electronically instead of cutting them out," she said.

Miami junior Brooke Perellis takes full advantage of using her phone number to access her personal Kroger Plus card information and agrees the new technology will benefit Kroger.

"I think this is a great idea because digital media is the way to go," Perellis said. "It is so common for people to forget their coupons at home. If people take the time to load the coupons onto (their) card, (they) will save a lot of money in the long run."

For now, Kroger is only planning to use the Kroger Plus card as a means for loading the coupons and has not started mobile coupons.

"We started this program over a year ago," Betzler said. "However, the most recent information in regards to digital coupons is a full launch offering more coupons to be loaded and working with various vendor partners. I personally use this all the time."

After a customer checks out with their purchases, they can look at their receipt to see how much money they saved under "ecpn," or electronic coupons. It will say the total coupon amount that was deducted, Betzler said.

Anyone can apply for a Kroger Plus card for free online or in the store.