Keeping Up with the Times

Erin Fischesser

You have two papers due this week and an exam tomorrow. You haven't even begun to study and your roommate is hosting friends from out of town. What do you do? Or the real question is, where do you go?

The easy answer: the library.

Many Miami University students rush in and out of the libraries on campus everyday without considering what happens behind the scenes. Students may not notice the faces behind the desks or the ones who dole out study room keys and laptops.

It may be easy for stressed out and study-crazed students not to notice, but Miami's libraries-King Library, Amos Music Library, Brill Science Library and Wertz Art and Architecture Library-are constantly updating technology and providing efficient study resources.

According to Kevin Messner, an assistant librarian at Brill Science Library, the libraries serve students in a variety of different ways including making high-quality resources available to students, offering assistance and providing guidance in regard to specific questions or topics.

Messner said Miami libraries aim to provide students with the necessary tools to carry out efficient, accurate and up-to-date research to supplement the overall academic experience.

"Miami's libraries do very well in providing access to productivity and media creation tools," Messner said. "What's most impressive to me, having worked in other library systems, is that our staff is eager to experiment with providing these kinds of services and don't have to be dragged kicking and screaming into it."

Tracking technology trends

New improvements to university libraries show Miami is focused on bringing the latest forms of technology to students.

The Thunder Room was unveiled by King Library March 27. It is an innovative and interactive room which will help facilitate discussion with others around the world. Additionally, three podcasting studios were added to King Library's collection of resources.Miami made one significant leap in technology in March 1998 with the addition of the Center for Information Management (CIM) lab, a resource that allows students to transfer information into digital formats and utilize other image and media editing software.

The CIM lab has many uses including video creation and editing, digital text creation and editing, digital image creation and editing, high capacity removable storage and OhioView Satellite Imaging­-an online service that allows students to view different and detailed maps of Ohio.

Yet with all this sophisticated technology, sometimes it's the simplest software capabilities that draw students to use the CIM lab.

Sophomore Erica Belletti said she uses the CIM lab to take advantage of the available software.

"I go to the CIM lab to use Adobe Photoshop and Dreamweaver," Belletti said. "I don't want to have to purchase these programs."

Along with the technology available to students, the ability for students to contact librarians for questions has become more high-tech as well. Students can now Instant Message (IM), text message, call or e-mail the librarians to ask a question.

According to Lindsay Miller, a library communications coordinator and assistant librarian at King Library, the various means of communication make librarians more accessible to students.

"We have librarians available for in person, phone, e-mail or IM research help for anything from basic research questions like locating a book within the library or

something as advanced as gathering data or intensive research for dissertations and theses on any topic imaginable," Miller said.

The people behind the books

While the information at the libraries is valuable, much of the information would be difficult to navigate and use to its full potential without librarians. As a staff, Miami librarians go through a lot to be qualified to work in Miami's libraries, according to Rob Withers, assistant dean and associate librarian at King Library.

Withers said librarians are required to obtain a master's of library or information science as recognized by the American Library Association. Many of the librarians also have a second master's degree in another field and work with students and staff in related areas.

Withers said that the libraries currently employ 62 librarians and professional staff, 49 support staff, who are not certified librarians, and a number of student employees who do the equivalent of the work of nearly 42 full-time employees.

Miller's experience and graduate study has enabled her to work at Miami's libraries.

While a student at Miami, Miller worked in the CIM before graduating in 2005. Following graduation, she received a master's degree in library science at the University of Kentucky and was hired at King Library in 2006.

Messner's journey to the world of the library was less direct. Before coming to Miami, Messner worked in biochemistry and used libraries during graduate school. After struggling with an experiment for several weeks, Messner found the answers that he needed in a book that had been published in 1971.

"At that point, the light bulb went off that library services and access to older literature could really make a difference in today's lab research," Messner said.

Now Messner works with staff and students, aiding them in researching, finding resources and helping students gain access to highly specialized biological information at Brill Science Library.

Barry Zaslow, a music librarian for the Amos Music Library, said he has a lifetime of library experiencee.

"I started working in libraries in fifth grade as a shelving helper and have been doing a variety of library jobs since then," Zaslow said.

It's not just books and research for these librarians. Messner said he has witnessed a fair share of unusual experiences.

"You meet all sorts in the library," Messner said.

Messner said his favorite reference question was one in which a student asked to learn about secret messages encoded in human DNA.

Zaslow, too, has had some odd requests.

"We get lots of requests for the Fight Song and Alma Mater for wedding receptions or reunions of Miami alumni," he said.

Other times, patrons call the wrong school, Zaslow said.

"Many times we get mixed up with the University of Miami which has a doctoral program in music, so we try to direct people to the correct school," Zaslow said. "Most entertaining, though, is that people often ask Amos Music Library if they can borrow instruments."

Print lives on

Even with all of the technology available to students, many still use and check out print materials.

According to Withers, Miami libraries checked or renewed over 429,000 items between July 2006 and June 2007.

Withers said that this was an 11.9 percent increase in the circulation of materials from 2004-2005. Withers added that the use of both print and online sources received from other universities through the Interlibrary Loan Service, an agreement that allows many universities to share resources, also saw a large increase in the past year.

As a result of such statistics, much of the library staff believes that print will always remain, despite the competition with electronic sources.

"Rumors of print's demise have been greatly exaggerated," Messner said.

Messner said that while most students and faculty prefer online resources, print is much easier to read for most people.

Ken Grabach, a map librarian at Brill Science Library, agreed with Messner, noting that some people prefer print sources versus their electronic counterparts.

"There is still something nice for most people in being able to handle the material, to touch the paper and feel the cover of the book in their hands," Grabach said. "We use our hands as well as our eyes to gain information when we read, and being able to use our hands with the material itself helps in thi s process."

According to Zaslow, some material is nearly impossible to be provided completely electronically.

"At least (at the music library) people still check out a lot of print materials because it's a lot easier to play a piece on the piano from a printed score than trying to read a computer screen," Zaslow said.

While most librarians don't believe that print will ever fully disappear, some do admit that there are both advantages and disadvantages to using electronic material.

Grabach said that space is a major factor when it comes to maintaining print resources.

"All that printed material takes up more space than electronic storage requires," Grabach said.

Messner agreed yet emphasized the value of having print at hand.

"Once we buy a print title, we know we'll have it in perpetuity barring flood or fire," Messner said. "Online resources are often dependent on continuing rental agreements with the publisher, so there's always uncertainty."

Despite a hesitance to replace print, Miller said the convenience of electronic sources cannot be ignored.

"Electronic books and journals are more easily searchable because you can search for keywords and find relevant results relating to those keywords," Miller said.

Grabach said what is ultimately important is that people have access to the information they need.

"Libraries are still places where texts, images and the written word are valued," Grabach said. "The forms they take are less important than the fact that we have access to them."

A study escape

For students, the libraries' amenities-from the technology to the atmosphere to the food-offer students an opportunity to study that is different than a residence hall or apartment environment.

Junior Pam Purdy said the library is a part of her daily life.

"I come to the library every day for at least a couple of hours," Purdy said.

Purdy said she uses the library to study or to spend time between classes instead of going home. For Purdy, her favorite library resource is the ability to check out laptop computers. Purdy said this allows her to study in the privacy of a cubicle.

Sophomore Jeff Schiappa agreed with Purdy's comments. Schiappa said that he frequents the library about four times a week.

"I usually try to find the quietest place in the library to study and do homework," Schiappa said. "Most of the time I bring my own books and just study, so my favorite resource is probably the wireless (Internet)."

Sophomore Noah Finney takes a slightly different approach to studying, but also frequents the library.

"I go to the library about three times every week to get work done," Finney said. "I go there, set up my laptop on the main floor, set out the things I need to get done, go downstairs, grab a coffee and a snack and go back upstairs to work."

While at the library, Finney said he often sees friends at the library and occasionally takes breaks to socialize with them.

Belletti said socializing is a major reason she does not use the libraries on a regular basis.

"Whenever I go to King, it feels more like a social gathering rather than a study haven," Belletti said. "Even when I try to hide away in a cubicle, I am still distracted. I study much more productively in the study areas in my dorm."

During finals week especially, Belletti said she avoids the libraries.

"You have to get to the library at eight in the morning and stake out your spot," Belletti said. "It's not worth it to me to have to worry about finding a place. I'd rather start studying at home and only focus on that."

Coping with Change

Grabach remembers that when he began working at King Library, the online catalog was not yet in place.

"Student staff was employed just to file new cards for all of the books added," Grabach said.

King Library was the first with an electronic catalog in fall 1990 with Brill, Wertz and Amos libraries following suit in spring 1991.

Grabach found it interesting, though, that one aspect of King Library-the contrasting atmospheres of each floor-has remained unchanged throughout his time there.

"A book that was published more than 20 years ago, Public Ivies, describes King Library at the time as having a different atmosphere on each floor," Grabach said. "King Library has been fully renovated, and spaces reconfigured, but that usage pattern still prevails."

Grabach said the book captured the way in which each floor of the library is quieter than the one below it.

Grabach also remembers when food and beverages were banned from King Library, long before King Café opened during the 2006-07 school year.

"Now, there is a coffee shop in King, and that is described as one of our most welcoming features," Grabach said. "I no longer react when I hear a pop bottle or can opened."

While some aspects of the library have remained unchanged for years, Grabach said the library staff is ready to embrace change.

To Grabach, the lasting effect of printed books will prevail, even as the future of library technology is unknown.

"The printed book is more than 500 years old and the written text is more than 3,000 years old, but the paradox is that more and more new material will be produced in electronic form without a print equivalent," Grabach said.

While the electronic versus print debate may continue for centuries, technology will continue to become available at both on- and off-campus libraries. Many students will continue to seek out the libraries as a study escape.

Whether used for studying or socializing, reading or researching, Grabach said there is no way to predict what new developments could be next. For Grabach, one thing is certain-Miami libraries will keep an eye on the future.