Julie Roche: Night out

Julie Roche, For the Miami Student

The Italian siesta = college naptime. The time period from approximately 1 to 4 p.m. (or in the European time zone 13:00 to 16:00) when Italian businesses and their employees close shop for the afternoon, to sleep off their prosciutto and provolone paninis and birre (beers) for a few hours before heading back to work for the evening.

I know what you're thinking: Ah, now wouldn't that be lovely?

Unfortunately for me, it's not so lovely, because as I write this article, I happen to be trapped in the art studio during the Italian siesta hours. Yes, trapped. The doors won't open. There is no professor in sight and the porters who stand guard at the front desk are currently enjoying their siesta.

It's 1:30 p.m. and I am trapped inside of a building in the middle of Rome. I suppose it is because I have rudely made the decision to leave a university-owned building, where real middle-aged Italian men work, in the midst of their nappy-time.

So, because I cannot feast on a delicious panini and then take an hour-long nap like them (I must stand guard until someone can let me out of this HORRIBLE ARTISTIC PRISON!), I might as well tell you about my weekend.

Since I was not traveling, I decided to go out with my Italian cousin, Valeria, and her ‘amici' (friends) and one of my roommates to have the full experience of a legitimate Italian Saturday night.

Valeria picked us up around 19:45 (I know…isn't it so much fun translating every European time into American time?! I'll teach you my hint: use 12 p.m. as your base, then use your fingers to count how many it takes to get to 19, then use that number and voila, you have it…European time).

Anyway, she brought us to her house for a tortellini dinner with her boyfriend Emanuele. The night started out well. Emanuele spoke a lot of English; he's been learning it since age six. There were only a few misunderstandings, such as when I asked him what his favorite cereal was and he replied "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation." I let it go as I did when their un-neutered dog Justy humped me and my roommates' legs every two minutes.

Later, we met her friends in an abandoned parking lot before heading to an Irish pub to celebrate Simone's (pronounced Si-mon-ay … and yes, he is a boy) 21st birthday. When we arrived, an Italian stallion named Luca told my roommate she "was a mega fox" (in English), which took us a few days of deciphering to realize he actually meant, "she looked like Megan Fox."

The night ended with an intense bowling match at a bowling alley, and if that doesn't sound American enough…well I guess it was; almost just like home, minus 20 lanes. Regardless, the night was a success and I couldn't have asked for a better way to spend the weekend.

OK, I know I said I wasn't going to end another article with a cheesy line, but you know. We're in college. Weekends are supposed to be fun and since Green Beer Day is coming up, this line fits perfectly: "Let's RAAAAGE!"